Advice on rust spots on body

buddcm81

Supporting Member
2010 2dr manual. 43,500 miles. Local trade. Seller is asking $24k. I have not seen in person yet, but have briefly spoke to seller who identified the following issues:

- Cracked windshield
- Messy interior from pet hair (carpet might need replacing, deep clean at minimum)
- tires need to be replaced
- upholstery on passenger seat is torn

Have a few pics. Exterior looks solid. No rust. Paint and hard top are in good shape from what I've seen. Everything looks as it should, but waiting on VIN to run CarFax and get to know the history.

I feel like the seller is sky high on price. My gut says this should be about $14-15k with the known issues, but it is low miles.

Does anyone have an opinion on a reasonable offer? I could be way off on where the market is at. Would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks. Adding pics. Looks stock to me.
Your right way to much, if it's a stock JK no extras and really clean $12-14,000.
22CE0450-22BF-4A88-A7E1-F83B1E603174.png97D9914A-8F52-41D1-BA1F-8D7CA4EA1738.pngF3932899-243F-44C0-AE85-553AD8D9B37C.png98F9C39E-0884-436B-9E6C-1B3E26C51EFA.pngEB4DCFEC-ECB6-46AC-90A5-FD37E0989655.png

I'm fairly sure that is a 2012 model, not 2010, based on seats, steering wheel, and color. That is the first year for the 3.6 engine, a bit of a problem year, but not inherently bad vehicles.

Reactions: BigAL07
I'm fairly sure that is a 2012 model, not 2010, based on seats, steering wheel, and color. That is the first year for the 3.6 engine, a bit of a problem year, but not inherently bad vehicles.
You’re correct! I typed the wrong year. It is a 2012.

For Orange you pay a premium???

Be sure to test all the buttons and knobs. I paid $13k for mine a couple years ago with 100K on the clock. Dealer gave me 100% 30 day guarantee and replace windshield, radio, and a few other things before I signed off.

Edit: make sure the TPMS is reporting tire pressure if the wheels are not original.

Last edited:
Reactions: buddcm81
Found another potential purchase and it has two rust spots on the rear just above (possibly also behind) the bumper. Is this more than just an eyesore in your opinions? I asked for more pics to ensure it is only those spots.

Has anyone had this type of defect repaired and, if so, how much did it cost?

Thanks!

image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.png

Man... that 1 spot on the passenger side is pretty bad. It will at least need that whole section cut out. The driverside looks like you could poke your finger through the rust bubbles but could maybe get away with grinding the bubbles out. Wont know till you open them up. You're looking at low end of $1,800 to fix the 2 rust spots. That's without seeing anything else. I also see the soft top isn't closed correctly either. Hopefully it's not broke and letting water inside.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
You (or a professional) would have to crawl under that thing checking all the nooks and crannies. Pull the carpets to check inside. Examine the jack area and door frames.
Unless the price is great it would be a pass. For that rust on a JK it must have been operated in a salt mine.

Don

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp