Advice on lift selection

Firekat82

Hi guys, I’m new on here and to the Jeep world but I’m getting sucked in quickly. Recently bought a 2013 Sahara Unlimited. Just put 35” Toyo MTs on her with motometal 970 rims (20x9). Right now it is running with no lift and the tires rub some when the wheel turns about 1 1/4 turns. What lift will I get the most bang for my buck with? I won’t be doing much off roading. It is more for cruising with the wife and daughters and just having fun in, although we do have plans on going to Silver Lake Dunes this summer. I’m thinking that a 2.5” lift should suffice. Any suggestions on brands and installers in the central Indiana area? Any advice is appreciated!

Mind you I'm not an expert of wheels that large or with that type of offset, nor would I suggest mounting wheel spacers on them. if you like the low wide stance, then a mild boost would be enough. often this means stiffening up sagging coil springs. Though I don't agree with just mounting in some spring idolaters on top of the coils. if you're planing of flexing the jeep, the idolaters can and will move from their sockets.

As for a basic boost, research a hard boost kit which contains new double or triple rate extended coils. However, 2.5 is near the max lift without distorting the geometry of the factory components. if you go any higher, you'll need to add new control arms and other hardware.

As for what kit, I can't suggest any particular brand as I've achieved an upgraded suspension and not a true lift, but the lift came with the territory afterward.

Thanks for the reply! I think a little more clearance will also enhance the look of the Jeep so that’s another big factor in having it done. It’s not only rubbing a little but a heightened ride will be more aesthetic for my taste. I don’t wanna go too high where my wife and daughters have issues getting in and out, but I want some clearance and height for functionality and appearance.
Appreciate your input!

it seem somewhere after 2014 or so the jeeps had gain a small boost based on their package. Like the recon. these coils were the tallest on any jeep without any aftermarket addons. So I would search for a set of the rubicon recon coils.

Reactions: Firekat82
Are the tires rubbing on the control arms? If so spacers is the only way to fix that problem.

Consider a leveling kit if you're looking for a mild lift. If you like a softer stock like ride, most of the major manufacturers make a spacer based leveling kit that lift the front 1.75 - 2" and the rear between .75 - 1". These kits don't require new shocks or other upgrades, though some do include longer swaybar endlinks. There are also a number of 2.5" spacer lift kits that are available with adapters to use stock shocks or aftermarket shocks. Keep in mind that with a spacer lift, your lift equals spacer thickness.

With a spring lift, your end result will vary based on the weight of your Jeep as well as the springs it was originally equipped with. Most companies rate their lift based on a Jeep with heavy bumpers, winch, and cargo. If you don't have those things, you'll see more lift and potentially experience a stiffer ride. Some of the softer springs to consider are OME, Mopar, synergy. OME has a number of springs available for light and heavy vehicles so are able to get a ride height much closer to your desired lift. Some of the other companies have springs rated as little as 1" lift.

Bang for buck, a Teraflex leveling kit is hard to beat. I don't have a leveling kit on our JKU but did install 1" front spacer and 1/2" rear with 33's. I'm also attaching a picture of a 2" lift that gave us 2.5" and a stiffer ride.

Squirrel1.jpg

Boulder1.jpg

I am running a JKS 2.5" lift kit with the included Fox shocks, and have a better ride than stock. I am only running 32" tires for now, but if you are looking for a good lift, this is the one to get.
Frank

Want my opinion? If you aren't doing any extreme off-roading but want a dual purpose vehicle, go with one of the AEV DualSport lifts. Can't go wrong, I promise you.

They ride excellent both on-road and off-road.