Advice needed for a new owner

ThatGuy21

HI everyone, first post here so go gentle. My wife and I are auto enthusiasts and to date only have cars, an SUV and a truck but have always wanted a JK Unlimited, my wife started talking about them again recently so I decided it is time to add a Jeep to the fleet for our anniversary. I wanted to start economical to see how much we really use it and found a 2011 Sahara (white) with a tall clock (106k miles). My plans are to get it tip top for her over the next few weeks and have some questions. First and foremost any advice you have for this model with this amount of miles is greatly appreciated! (maintenance, common issues, etc.) I would like to do a suspension lift (3" - 4") and maybe a small body lift to accommodate 37" 20s. This vehicle will only see very light off-roading and will likely never see the highway. We both have daily drivers and a few fun cars so this will just be for cruising around in the summer and going places our sports cars can't go while being more enjoyable than our daily's. Again any advice and help is appreciated, I have used the search function quite a bit and will do my best to not flood you guys with questions that have already been beat to death. With that being said I very much appreciate the value of conversation like these on forums with like minded people. Thanks in advance!

I would hold off on the lift. Base wranglers are more than capable enough and a lift will affect the ride quality. For a wrangler, that isn't that bad of mileage. I picked up my 2009 with about 160K a couple years ago.

Drive it about a bit and see how it goes. Not to mention that a 2011 still has the 3.8 engine and you would need to regear to go for that big of a tire. Which you may need to do anyway in order to go much bigger than stock, depending on what gearing you have now. You probably either have 3.21 or 3.73. For 37s you will probably need either 4.56 or 4.88 in order to get 37s on.

You will fine the most tire choices with 17 inch wheels as it is the standard for Wranglers. Low profile tires limit the capabilities of a wrangle. Part of the suspension is the amount of rubber between the road and the rims.

Find a local off roading / jeep shop as most standard shops don't know what to do with Wranglers. There may be some local clubs that can help point the way. Facebook... not that I like pointing people there... is a place to start. This is especially important if you plan on having that massive of a lift put on. You will need to replace a decent percentage of the suspension components to go that high. shocks, springs, trackbars, suspension arms, possibly drive shafts. Not trying to talk you out of it, but you need to know what you are getting into before you take that step. and for the most part everything needs to happen at the same time.

As far as what to have checked out first:
Suspension stuff. Ball joints especially, at least that was what I had to replace. Spark plugs and wires, standard engine 100K stuff.
The 3.8 engine isn't the most popular, but it is a good engine that will last a long time.

Last edited:
Congrats on your newly found addiction/obsession/funnest ride you'll have!

I bought an '07 last year that had 118,000 mi and it ran well, now runs amazing (multiple long trips have been done in it with the fam).

Aside from the clutch (wear item), I changed out ALL the fluids: differentials, transfer case, transmission /gearbox (I need to do the coolant.

If you know those plugs have been changed at or around 100,000 mi, leave them. If not, I used factory Champion Platinums and it idled tons smoother.

Lift/rims and tires. To each their own on this one... But, with the driving you described, you might consider a budget boost (2" leveling kit) or a 2-2.5" suspension lift with no bigger than 315/70r15 tires. It'll look great.

Tires: if you have 3.21 gears, you may not want to go more than 285/70r17s (33"). If you have 3.73 gears, you may want to go 315/70r17s (35") or something equivalent if you choose to go with an 18" or bigger rim (I'd do 17" tho)

I unfortunately have 3.21 gears and it's fine around town on 33"s. However, a hilly ride on the highway can get aggravating with the lack of power/torque. That's just my experience.

There's a good chance you have 3.73 gears with your Sahara, but if you don't know the gears you have, you can either look under the Jeep next to the rear diff cover for the stamp or enter your vin on this Chrysler website and see your build sheet. I've actually used it when I look at Jeeps on line... just window shopping at Jeeps.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Enjoy! Post a pic if you can. Especially when you've done your mods. Don't get on amazon.com to browse for Jeep accessories or you'll get hooked!

Congrats and welcome. It is very addicting. MacGuyver gave some great advice. I bought a 2015 JK (2 door) Sahara soft top almost a year ago from a Jeep dealer. Had been looking for awhile and found a low milage (49K) clean and all stock, Black, the color we wanted. Picked up a set of 5 used (spare was brand new and still wrapped from shipping) but like brand new 35's on 22" rims (no plans to off road) for a steal from a guy who decided to go 37's. It is an automatic with 3.21 gears and you feel the loss of power. It goes in on 7/13 for an upgrade to 4.56 at a local 4X4 shop. Aside from the wheels/tires, lift and upcoming re gearing. I have replaced both bumpers, have Amp Research auto power running boards and have Quad power auto mirrors on order. The mirrors are great as they are like factory but stay on when the doors are off and still have power control. Added the Super Chips tuner and LED head lights from XK Glow which is just a bulb replacement but they are GREAT, next up will be LED tail lights. May need to get a job to support tis habit!

Ditto on all the above, especially MacGuyver. We have a 2010 but it is a Rubicon so it has 4:10 gears and with 35s it is not bad.
We got it with a little over 100k miles so I did full tuneup (plugs, wires, coil pack) and changed all fluids. Unless you have receipts from PO you don't know what maintenance has been done.
Unless you plan on MAJOR offroading and rock climbing, 35s with 2 1/2" lift will get you more places than you can imagine.
Good luck!

I have a 2.5" with 35s on 18" Moto Metal 962 wheels and it's perfect for the trails and overlanding I do. I don't do any serious rock crawling. While I could easily gear up to a 4.10 (I still may), the 3.73 rear end let's me run 70+ on the interstate with no problem at less than 2500 rpm.

Check fluids everywhere, check your belt and perhaps have someone plug it in and see if it's throwing any codes not showing up on the dashboard.

If everything checks out, go have some fun and get out your checkbook!

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Oh, and download the JScan app, buy a Bluetooth OBDII reader......scan for codes and change all sorts of settings (TPMS, tire size for speedometer, program a new key, etc)

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Thank you so much to everyone who took time to reply to this. I was able to get in some serious research time this weekend and have come to the conclusion that I will start with a 3.5"~ suspension lift and 35" 20"s. I don't want them to stick out much so I think I am safe to assume I should look for wheels with close to a zero offset? I have also ordered OEM plugs, wires, oil filter, cabin filter, air filter, trans fluid, dif fluid, p/s fluid, brake fluid, pcv valve, serp belt and trans. filter so that I can perform a proper tune up and have a baseline for maintenance purposes.

What are your thoughts on aftermarket air intakes? I have purchased proper air intakes for vehicles in the past in order to gain a more aggressive sound without an aftermarket exhaust so I was pondering that idea.

start with a 3.5"~ suspension lift and 35" 20"s.

Please - I'm not the guy who will tell you how to dress up your JK - rethink the 3.5", and the 20" wheels.

20`s will limit your tire choice

A 3.5" lift alone will be a significant investment. Throw in the 20" wheels and 35" tires and, as mrjp stated, it really limits your tire choices to a pretty expensive, narrow range of options. Not to mention I believe your ride quality is going to suffer noticeably.

Please - I'm not the guy who will tell you how to dress up your JK - rethink the 3.5", and the 20" wheels.

A 3.5" lift alone will be a significant investment. Throw in the 20" wheels and 35" tires and, as mrjp stated, it really limits your tire choices to a pretty expensive, narrow range of options. Not to mention I believe your ride quality is going to suffer noticeably.
I very much appreciate all of the input, I love forums like this for just this reason. Being able to hear real life experience before spending the money! Ride quality isn't majorly important to us, as this isn't going to be a daily driver and appearance/ personal preference comes well before cost. I am thinking I can accomplish most of the customization we want to do in the $10,000~ range which we are happy with (let me know if I am way off base here). I have a solid 25 options for tires in the 20" wheel 35" tire range so I think I will be ok there. I know I won't be able to off-road in these so I will likely pick up a set of 17"s or 18"s maybe even lightly used for off-road use.

I very much appreciate all of the input, I love forums like this for just this reason. Being able to hear real life experience before spending the money! Ride quality isn't majorly important to us, as this isn't going to be a daily driver and appearance/ personal preference comes well before cost. I am thinking I can accomplish most of the customization we want to do in the $10,000~ range which we are happy with (let me know if I am way off base here). I have a solid 25 options for tires in the 20" wheel 35" tire range so I think I will be ok there. I know I won't be able to off-road in these so I will likely pick up a set of 17"s or 18"s maybe even lightly used for off-road use.
I have 35's on 18" wheels and think they are a good all around combination. This is my daily driver

20210530_151144.jpg

20210523_153234.jpg

20210523_153002.jpg

I would hold off on the lift. Base wranglers are more than capable enough and a lift will affect the ride quality. For a wrangler, that isn't that bad of mileage. I picked up my 2009 with about 160K a couple years ago.

Drive it about a bit and see how it goes. Not to mention that a 2011 still has the 3.8 engine and you would need to regear to go for that big of a tire. Which you may need to do anyway in order to go much bigger than stock, depending on what gearing you have now. You probably either have 3.21 or 3.73. For 37s you will probably need either 4.56 or 4.88 in order to get 37s on.

You will fine the most tire choices with 17 inch wheels as it is the standard for Wranglers. Low profile tires limit the capabilities of a wrangle. Part of the suspension is the amount of rubber between the road and the rims.

Find a local off roading / jeep shop as most standard shops don't know what to do with Wranglers. There may be some local clubs that can help point the way. Facebook... not that I like pointing people there... is a place to start. This is especially important if you plan on having that massive of a lift put on. You will need to replace a decent percentage of the suspension components to go that high. shocks, springs, trackbars, suspension arms, possibly drive shafts. Not trying to talk you out of it, but you need to know what you are getting into before you take that step. and for the most part everything needs to happen at the same time.

As far as what to have checked out first:
Suspension stuff. Ball joints especially, at least that was what I had to replace. Spark plugs and wires, standard engine 100K stuff.
The 3.8 engine isn't the most popular, but it is a good engine that will last a long time.

Def heed MacGuyvers advice . He knows what he speaks.
Drive it for a bit first . Modifying a Jeep PROPERLY takes some experience and patience.
Being a solid front axle if geometry isn't bang on you and your wife will end up not so happy. As the ride will blow . Cause it's a lot more than just switching out parts . It's choosing the right gear first. Than adjusting of the new parts that is critical.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07