A Solid All Around Build?

jjvw

What is considered to be a good solid do it all build for a JK and a JKU on stock axles and wheelbase?

In the TJ world this is 35" tires beneath a 4" spring lift and a 1.25" body lift, raised skids, 11" front shocks, 12" rear shocks split 50/50 on relocated mounts. 21-22" frame height. Extra credit for a well designed mid arm 3/4 link.

What is the JK/JKU equivalent?

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
I’ve got the AEV dualsport 3.5” lift on mine with 315s and I would say it’s a damn good setup. While I have yet to really wheel it, I’ve heard a lot from people who have, and it’s excellent. The one thing I’ve noticed about JKs is that it seems that a lot less is required in comparison to a TJ, especially if you have a Rubicon model.

My usual questions about shock travels should still apply to a different platform. How much up and down? How does that compare to stock? The frame and belly heights are also useful for those who want to compare one generation to another. :)

I know one thing, that JKU wheelbase looks like it might be an issue. Don't know for sure, as hers is still at the stock-ish mall crawler stage. Only been off road a couple of times.

I know one thing, that JKU wheelbase looks like it might be an issue. Don't know for sure, as hers is still at the stock-ish mall crawler stage. Only been off road a couple of times.

That's true, the wheelbase on the Unlimited model is significantly longer. That could be a challenge depending on what type of wheeling you're doing. The 2-door wheelbase if I remember correctly falls between the wheelbase of a TJ and a LJ, so it's a happy medium.

I'd have to actually look up the numbers, but I believe that is correct.

Another question I had a while back was why it is you rarely ever see JKs with outboard shock conversions. Only time I have ever seen that is with coilover installs.

That's true, the wheelbase on the Unlimited model is significantly longer. That could be a challenge depending on what type of wheeling you're doing. The 2-door wheelbase if I remember correctly falls between the wheelbase of a TJ and a LJ, so it's a happy medium.

I'd have to actually look up the numbers, but I believe that is correct.

Another question I had a while back was why it is you rarely ever see JKs with outboard shock conversions. Only time I have ever seen that is with coilover installs.
LJ and JK are very close in length. The JL and LJ I think are almost identical in length.

Reactions: Chris
This is interesting...

That's a lot of goodies right there, including options for gas tanks up to 33 gallon and a flat belly skid. Relocated coil overs and a 3 link fron, 4 link rear long arm suspension. New axles required. The price is commensurate with the amount of stuff involved.

Wow, just wow.

What is considered to be a good solid do it all build for a JK and a JKU on stock axles and wheelbase?

In the TJ world this is 35" tires beneath a 4" spring lift and a 1.25" body lift, raised skids, 11" front shocks, 12" rear shocks split 50/50 on relocated mounts. 21-22" frame height. Extra credit for a well designed mid arm 3/4 link.

What is the JK/JKU equivalent?
That is not a solid built in my book. First off, it's gotta be around a Rubicon platform.

Last edited:
That is not a solid built in my book. First off, it's gotta be around a Rubicon platform.

Care to expand on what a solid JK build is? Or was that a critique of a solid TJ build?

The only thing truly unique to a Rubicon on either platform is the transfer case. And that it's only valuable if the 4:1 is desirable. Lockers can be added. On a JK, the auto disconnecting sway bar is a gimmicky joke compared to an Antirock.

Care to expand on what a solid JK build is? Or was that a critique of a solid TJ build?

The only thing truly unique to a Rubicon on either platform is the transfer case. And that it's only valuable if the 4:1 is desirable. Lockers can be added. On a JK, the auto disconnecting sway bar is a gimmicky joke compared to an Antirock.
I already said, I want a Rubicon platform for a start. With all the things you mentioned, I think the axle is missing and is very important for me to have a solid off road rig and I can get that from a Rubicon platform.

Last edited:
I already said, I want a Rubicon platform for a start. With all the things you mentioned, I think the axle is missing and is very important for me to have a solid off road rig and I can get that from a Rubicon platform.

I think you are missing the point of the original question. How does one build up a JK in such a way as to maximize and balance the tire size, suspension travel, suspension performance, belly height, frame height, etc.

I described this in some detail for a well built TJ that maintains the factory axles and wheelbase - something I am quite familiar with, FWiW. What does this look like for a well built JK? The answer to this question is going to involve a tape measure and a welder. And if longer than stock arms are a part of the equation, there better be some grasp of instant centers, how they affect the suspension's behavior and why that matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Here's a very specific question that might get us to what we both know is the type of guru thinking you are referring to.

What is the largest tire with the least amount of lift that will also support a 12" travel shock that has its travel divided in half. 6" up, 6" down, both front and rear.

Moving shock mounts is permitted, if not required. Some mild trimming/modding of the body is also permitted, if not required.

What is the belly height of this build?

I currently like my setup. Stock Rubicon Recon on 35's (High top fenders allow this with no lift). Eventually I will change tires as I have come to dislike mine a little bit, I intend to get fox shocks all around, and the fox steering box.

I doubt I will lift my rig any in the years to come as its my daily driver and goes anywhere i need it to.

I currently like my setup. Stock Rubicon Recon on 35's (High top fenders allow this with no lift). Eventually I will change tires as I have come to dislike mine a little bit, I intend to get fox shocks all around, and the fox steering box.

I doubt I will lift my rig any in the years to come as its my daily driver and goes anywhere i need it to.

And when you do add Fox shocks all around will you be moving shock mounts so that the compressed lengths will match the minimum bump stop requirements in order to maximize the suspension up travel?

This thread is not about bolt on modifications. My question is about the refinements and fitting that happens after the bolt on stuff is out of the way and you run out of kits.

Surely the JK crowd does things like this...