6" lift Steering wander

Nac66c

I recently purchased a 2007 jk rubicon. The steering walks like crazy. Replaced gearbox because it was leaking. Replaced upper control arm bushings, tie rod ends, and track bar. Installed a sector shaft and track bar brace. This all helped some but it still wanders pretty good, also it has a 6" lift and 35s. I've always had CJ's and never had this problem. I'd like to feel comfortable letting my wife drive this so any help please.

I bought it with the lift and i had it aligned, but I'll probably readjust it myself. They got the steering wheel cocked about 45 degrees to the right, and about an 1/8 " toe in.

Yes, I'm fixing that, but that's not going to fix the wandering problem. Every jeep I've ever owned has been a CJ, I've even done 1/4 elliptical and goofy leaf setups and never had this problem.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I would look around and make sure the lift was done right. The geometry can get messed up easy if parts aren't upgraded.

For instance, were the correct control arms put on and Is the castor angle good? Basically is the lower ball joint in front of the upper? Adding a lift kit and not properly adjusting the control arms can make a jeep meander more than it should. Easy first thing to check.

Reactions: mrjp
I would look around and make sure the lift was done right. The geometry can get messed up easy if parts aren't upgraded.

For instance, were the correct control arms put on and Is the castor angle good? Basically is the lower ball joint in front of the upper? Adding a lift kit and not properly adjusting the control arms can make a jeep meander more than it should. Easy first thing to check.
Thank you I'll definitely check that out.

Thank you I'll definitely check that out.
This is a super basic explanation. Just google something like "wrangler JK steering geometry" or suspension geometry, or castor angle.

Plenty of videos and such out there. If you find one that is super helpful, link it here for the next person. Thanks!

Reactions: Nac66c and mrjp
Definitely make sure the Control Arms have been switched. I can guarantee that with a 6" lift the castor is gonna be messed up if those weren't replaced, probably need a long arm kit. From the research I had to do (same issue) you want it to measure between 5-7%. The closer to 7% you get the better.

Definitely make sure the Control Arms have been switched. I can guarantee that with a 6" lift the castor is gonna be messed up if those weren't replaced, probably need a long arm kit. From the research I had to do (same issue) you want it to measure between 5-7%. The closer to 7% you get the better.
Thanks, they are stock control arms, i got the cast out as far as i could 3* ish, with even toe seems to work the best, until I can upgrade the control arms.

Thanks. Looks like my next step is new control arms, lifted with stock arms.