37 inch tires and axle shafts

motogod77

So after the 3.5” AEV lift, MEC fenders, 5.13 gears, and 37’s do I need to upgrade the axle shafts??? 2013 JKU Rubicon

I’ve read a lot on this and not clear how strong they are for offroad abuse. Probably not doing anything more serious than the Rubicon trail (pretty easy stuff).

With 37s, you'd still want to upgrade your axle shafts, no doubt. I personally would highly recommend the Revolution USA made alloy axle shafts. Those are the best-of-the-best. Or you could get RCV fronts and Revolution rears, which would be even better (though more expensive).

But if you want the best, that would be it :)

Evo axle sleeves, C gussets, and RCV axles is the direction I'm headed for 37's on the Rubicon 44. I'm riding 30 - 50 miles from a blacktop though so I really don't want to break.

Evo axle sleeves, C gussets, and RCV axles is the direction I'm headed for 37's on the Rubicon 44. I'm riding 30 - 50 miles from a blacktop though so I really don't want to break.
If you run 4.88 gears and Yukon chromolly axle shafts front and rear, and selectable lockers (PX are my preference) you’ll be just fine.

trussing and sleeving are for guys that drop their jeeps off of cliffs and bounce them over rocks at 25 mph.
Dana 44s are very well built as they are.

If you run 4.88 gears and Yukon chromolly axle shafts front and rear, and selectable lockers (PX are my preference) you’ll be just fine.

trussing and sleeving are for guys that drop their jeeps off of cliffs and bounce them over rocks at 25 mph.
Dana 44s are very well built as they are.

Kinda like the Rubicon Trail?

Kinda like the Rubicon Trail?
The rubicon trail can be achieved with finesse, in a locked TJ on 33s.
don’t get sucked into the mind set that you need to dump $60,000 in aftermarket stuff.
A jeep out of the box is very capable.

what you are talking about is a build that would be worthy of the Darian gap.

im a newbie on the forum, but I’ve been jeeping for 30+ years now, and I’m not only a bit of a purist, but I like to use the minimal amount of gear to accomplish the obstacle.
My old cj5 never had lockers, or even a posi.... I’d do it different now, but finesse is still the best way to break less parts

0DBFC389-4694-4975-83BF-0FBDBF61E579.jpeg

The rubicon trail can be achieved with finesse, in a locked TJ on 33s.
don’t get sucked into the mind set that you need to dump $60,000 in aftermarket stuff.
A jeep out of the box is very capable.

what you are talking about is a build that would be worthy of the Darian gap.

Cool story but..... The OP has a JK on 37's, not a TJ on 33's. You put a stock Dana 44 with 37's on the Rubicon trail you are asking for a very bad, very long day. Furthermore, your 30+ year math don't add up. The parts I suggested to run 37's on Dana 44's in the rock cost $1,541 not $60,000. You wheel you though.

Cool story but..... The OP has a JK on 37's, not a TJ on 33's. You put a stock Dana 44 with 37's on the Rubicon trail you are asking for a very bad, very long day. Furthermore, your 30+ year math don't add up. The parts I suggested to run 37's on Dana 44's in the rock cost $1,541 not $60,000. You wheel you though.

What’s the OP ?
My statement was that it doesn’t take 37” tires to do the trail.
If you are gonna run 37” tires, on 44s, a good set of axles and lockers will get it done. You don’t need tubes and trusses, unless you are going to drop it off cliffs and bounce over rocks at 25 mph.
Finesse will get you through a lot more than a loud pedal will, and it’ll do it way cheaper.

30 years..... yes, that CJ in the pic is a 76. I bought it from the original owner, bone stock, in 1990. Did a frame off resto, and began my jeep addiction.
I now have several jeeps, and am not even close to finding a cure.

wheel on big guy !!

What’s the OP ?
My statement was that it doesn’t take 37” tires to do the trail.
If you are gonna run 37” tires, on 44s, a good set of axles and lockers will get it done. You don’t need tubes and trusses, unless you are going to drop it off cliffs and bounce over rocks at 25 mph.
Finesse will get you through a lot more than a loud pedal will, and it’ll do it way cheaper.

30 years..... yes, that CJ in the pic is a 76. I bought it from the original owner, bone stock, in 1990. Did a frame off resto, and began my jeep addiction.
I now have several jeeps, and am not even close to finding a cure.

wheel on big guy !!

OP = Original Poster. That guy has a 3.5” AEV lift, MEC fenders, 5.13 gears, and 37’s and is asking how he should upgrade his axles to run the Rubicon Trail. You may think you can handle it with "finesse", but unless you've done plenty of wheeling in the western US, I'd suggest the tubes, C trusses, and axles. That's my set up for 35's. For 37's I'd have Dynatrac 60's.

I’ve been wheeling the Canadian Rockies man, the rubicon trail is nothing to be sneezed at, but the Rockies take it up a few levels.

Reactions: Chris