33s on stock tire carrier?

Are these going on aftermarket wheels or stock? Stock wheels don't have enough backspacing for 33s. Mine couldn't even be put on the vehicle. What size btw? i run 285 70 r17.
As far as the tire carrier, It will stick out more than the stock tire but a 33 will be fine. I did have to replace the hinges on mine due to previous owner shenanigans, but I just got the upgraded hinges, carrier is still stock. Someday perhaps I'll upgrade it, perhaps

I'm not sure what my jeep had been through before I got it but I keep finding strange things, and you may as well. For instance when I was poking around behind the glove box I discovered the male side of a power plug, cigarette adapter type, still have little idea what it's suppose to power, best guess is that some previous owner had a CB in the jeep. Probably why l had to replace the rear hinges, though it still had stock wheels and tires on it. Hell, my first 'mod' was replacing the entire rear brake system, everything was rusted solid, calipers, rotors, and all.

With stock wheels, they won't fit. You'll need a wheel with 5.25" or similar backspacing. The stock wheels have 6.25" backspacing, which won't allow it to bolt to your spare tire carrier.

With a 33" tire, I would strongly encourage switching to the Teraflex tire carrier or similar.

At that size, the tire is starting to get very heavy and put a lot of stress on the tailgate hinges. This tire carrier takes care of that and other issues.

I would love to get one of those full carrier kits as well, however I took the budget path because the hinges on mine were bad when I bought it.
Out of stock at the moment, but a number of things are.

You are picking up new rims right? As we have said, stock wheels with not work with 33"s, there is not enough backspacing. They literally can't even be put on the vehicle.

Haven’t put them on yet but no I haven’t ordered new wheels yet. Wanna get everything right before I do. But even with the 2inches lift the 33s x12.5?

On the stock rims/wheels with 33x12.5 and 2inch lift? Will that fit fine?? So when I get the lift in the mail tomorrow I can toss on the tires and be okay? Or?

On the stock rims/wheels with 33x12.5 and 2inch lift? Will that fit fine?? So when I get the lift in the mail tomorrow I can toss on the tires and be okay? Or?
The problem you run into is the stock wheels are 7.5" wide, and to run 12.5 " wide tires should have at least a 8" wide wheel. If you go with a smaller whee the tire won't wear correctly.

As for your carrier question, my buddy had his tailgate fall off from carrying a 33" x 12.5" tire. It took years, but something you should consider upgrading soon.

No, the problem is the width. My 285 70 R17 are a bit thinner than that and they couldn't even be put on the vehicle because they impacted components behind the tire. Spacers would fix this, but like said above, that size tire on the stock wheels will also be an issue, strange wear on expensive tires.

Sorry bud, jeep upgrading can be a bit of a pain, you have started out well by asking here.

I have 33's on 8.5 and it fits fine on the stock carrier. More backspacing for sure.
20200522_143946.jpg

20200522_143953.jpg

Seems as if you already have enough replies....I'm running 34" tires and I've had my spare tire on for six years now and I haven't had any issues at all. So it's a matter of what your personal preference is and what you think you're going to feel most comfortable with having. Only modification I did (and it probably wasn't necessary) was to cut off the stock 3rd brake light and install an LED brake light ring in the spare tire. The larger tire does somewhat block the 3rd brake light (for daytime driving anyway) so I put a Quadratec plug and play LED ring break light on and now nobody has any doubt if I'm breaking. The cost is only about $65, (not including tax or shipping) and it's really easy to install. The light sits lower and is a lot brighter.

Reactions: Zaythedad
Are these going on aftermarket wheels or stock? Stock wheels don't have enough backspacing for 33s. Mine couldn't even be put on the vehicle. What size btw? i run 285 70 r17.
As far as the tire carrier, It will stick out more than the stock tire but a 33 will be fine. I did have to replace the hinges on mine due to previous owner shenanigans, but I just got the upgraded hinges, carrier is still stock. Someday perhaps I'll upgrade it, perhaps

I'm not sure what my jeep had been through before I got it but I keep finding strange things, and you may as well. For instance when I was poking around behind the glove box I discovered the male side of a power plug, cigarette adapter type, still have little idea what it's suppose to power, best guess is that some previous owner had a CB in the jeep. Probably why l had to replace the rear hinges, though it still had stock wheels and tires on it. Hell, my first 'mod' was replacing the entire rear brake system, everything was rusted solid, calipers, rotors, and all.
Did you install the terraflex hd hinge? I’m adding 33s and sent an email to terraflex and they said that the hinge alone should be fine.

Did you need extended bumpers? Was install easy? Thanks

33" tires aren't really that much bigger than stock. Stock are something like 32.2 inches.

The main thing to consider is the amount of backspacing. Typically when people upgrade tires they get wider ones and at 33" this is where people run into problems. There is no need for a new bumper, I doubt with even 35s, though I'm not positive on that.

Stock hinges will be fine for the moment. They eventually fail regardless and when that happened on mine I replaced them with the moRyde one linked above. Or at least one that looks exactly like that. They work great.

Yeah you recommend anything that doesn’t cost 700 bucks? Kinda way expensive.

MORyde makes a great solution that I see someone has already recommended, at least part of the system.

Whatever you do, reinforce those hinges. You don't want your tailgate flying off at 70mph.

There are 3 pieces to the kit you can buy together (hinges, reinforcement, carrier), or one at a time. Each of the 3 is from $150 to $200, or you can buy all 3 in a kit for about $500.

The great thing here is you can get the hinges now, and space out the purchases if you decide to go with them later.

It's one of those things where you do it right, or you can do it twice. Something I learned the hard way a long time ago.