3.8 Exhaust Manifold Crack

f22beaver

Last time I checked I don't think cracks were a design future of exhaust manifolds. 🤣 I have the cats removed for replacement and I thought I had an exhaust leak, so that's how I got here.

Two questions then;

1) would any of you all try to weld repair this or do I just need to buy a new one? Used are still about $75 so not exactly cheap. I've seen some do JB Weld,I guess I'm not sure about that.
2) I only pulled the driver side because the bolt on the back flange was broken so it needed replaced. If I have a broken driver side does that mean I likely have a broken passenger side?

PXL_20221021_185758344.jpg

Cast iron is a pain to weld. JB Weld could work, but I think it would have to be considered a temporary patch.
Having a crack on one doesn't say anything at all about the possibility of the other side being cracked.
But a chance to fix is a chance to improve. Grab some headers and high-flow cats.
If you're looking for a budget friendly fix, hit the salvage yards. Especially if you've got one in your area that lets you pull your own parts. They're usually the cheapest.

Reactions: Danarch and mrjp
I wouldn't weld that or JB Weld it, mine were bad when I bought my Jeep so I just put long tube headers and high flow cats on.
Cast iron is a pain to weld. JB Weld could work, but I think it would have to be considered a temporary patch.
Having a crack on one doesn't say anything at all about the possibility of the other side being cracked.
But a chance to fix is a chance to improve. Grab some headers and high-flow cats.
If you're looking for a budget friendly fix, hit the salvage yards. Especially if you've got one in your area that lets you pull your own parts. They're usually the cheapest.
That's the opinion I needed to hear, thanks guys.

I pulled the heat shield off the passenger side and that manifold is fine. So at least for now, because I want to get this thing back together and not turn it into a total money dump (replacement cats were included with the sale of the vehicle), I think I'm going to get one of the Crown or Omix manifolds from Quadratec.