3.8 Engine needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbernie

Hey y'all.

So my 08 JK just died. I need an engine. I know it has the 3.8, but I am willing to look at anything compatible with the 08 JK. As long as I don't have to do any heavy mods or f**k with it too hard to install.

Stock everything at this point. So direct bold on. No muss. No fuss.

If anyone has a local lead for under $1000 let me know. I'm in the Rochester, NY area.

Hey y'all.

So my 08 JK just died. I need an engine. I know it has the 3.8, but I am willing to look at anything compatible with the 08 JK. As long as I don't have to do any heavy mods or f**k with it too hard to install.

Stock everything at this point. So direct bold on. No muss. No fuss.

If anyone has a local lead for under $1000 let me know. I'm in the Rochester, NY area.
There's a place in Lyons, NY that might not be too far from you? I bet they can find you a cheap engine and toss it in your Jeep for a reasonable price. But that's only my guess -judging them by a character Ive watched on YouTube:

Automotive Resources

Reactions: mrjp
I believe a better question would be what 3.8L V6 engines are compatible with my 08 JK? Does it have to come from a jeep or can I pull one from anything with a Mopar 3.8L V6? Assuming the 8th VIN digit matches?

That is a good question, and my bad for misunderstanding your OG post. I was just thinking quick, get it done solution.

Curious to know too if 3.8's can be transplanted into all different models that run it.

I believe a better question would be what 3.8L V6 engines are compatible with my 08 JK? Does it have to come from a jeep or can I pull one from anything with a Mopar 3.8L V6? Assuming the 8th VIN digit matches?

The Chrysler Town and Country mini vans have the same engine as the 3.8

That much I do know. That's why I was asking here.

I've called around to a few dealers and get the same response. "We will gladly sell you one of our engines and install it for you. But being a dealer we cannot give you advise about how to repair you car. We have 3.8L V6 engines starting at $5600 plus labor."

I know there are some unique parts and locations that are required for the JK. But are they mostly adaptable/movable parts or are cast as part of the block? I just want to replace my blown engine with something that runs and can easily bolt onto the stock points.

I love the idea of an LS swap. Great power and I'm sure there are plenty transmission adapter kits on the market. As of right now I can pull a used motor for $165 + core. I will worry about getting an LS motor later and do it when I have both time and money.

Mainly I am asking because I have limited time and the yards don't have any wrangler's. Nobody scraps them. They just move on to become trail beasts..

They have differences on the block though. There was a youtube series where someone tried that and it didn't turn out.

Rods and caps are different too looks like.

He did try using an '03 3.8 though. Not sure if later models were the same as the JK.

Yeah but what about internals? All those yummy parts🤤

I know it using 2 sh*tboxes to make make one. But at least I'll have 1 sh*itbox.

Yeah a lot of the parts are the same. Do you know why yours failed?

Short of major damage the 3.8 isn't a complicated engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.