3.6L, which side is bank 1

xackley

JK Enthusiast
I cannot find a definitive answer for the 2012 and later 3.6 liter engine when discussing O2 sensors.
Current case is I have a slow to start oxygen sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 1. It sits at 1.25 volts about a minute more than the other 3 sensors, then starts responding and everything is wonderful. In the pending codes I have seen p0132.

Does anyone have the definitive answer having actually replaced an O2 sensor.
Is bank 1 on the 3.6L the passenger or driver?
Don

I located this information:
To make things more clear, bank 1 is on the right side of the engine as viewed from behind, and bank 2 is on the left side of the engine as viewed from behind.

The upper sensor is 1; the lower sensor is 2.

Last edited:
Mike, I have seen that diagram before, are you sure that is the 3.6
When looking up O2 sensors this is the description advance auto and rockauto say

NTK 23161

Exact Fit for your 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
;Direct Fit Oxygen Sensor; Downstream Left; B2S2; OE MFR: NTKDirect Fit Oxygen Sensor; Upstream Right; B1S1;

Isn't "right" always the passenger side?

When looking up O2 sensors this is the description advance auto and rockauto say

NTK 23161

;Direct Fit Oxygen Sensor; Downstream Left; B2S2; OE MFR: NTKDirect Fit Oxygen Sensor; Upstream Right; B1S1;

NTK 23161

To make things more clear, bank 1 is on the right side of the engine as viewed from behind, and bank 2 is on the left side of the engine as viewed from behind.

The upper sensor is 1; the lower sensor is 2.

I cannot find a definitive answer for the 2012 and later 3.6 liter engine when discussing O2 sensors.
Current case is I have a slow to start oxygen sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 1. It sits at 1.25 volts about a minute more than the other 3 sensors, then starts responding and everything is wonderful. In the pending codes I have seen p0132.

Does anyone have the definitive answer having actually replaced an O2 sensor.
Is bank 1 on the 3.6L the passenger or driver?
Don
I have a 2012 jeep & was told it is on drivers side by jeep dealership & pointed out by a mechanic were it is

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler & was told it is on drivers side by jeep dealership & pointed out by a mechanic friend we’re it is

When looking at the engine from the front.
Bank 1 it is easy to see the coil packs for the spark plugs. It is on the side where the battery is located.
Bank 2 the massive plastic intake hides cylinders 2,4,6 and makes a plug change time consuming or expensive.

Bank 2 is on the drivers side of Jeep 3.6L engines.

It is possible to find diagrams of the 3.6 as installed in cars and mini vans. Rotate the engine 90* counter clockwise and you have a picture of how it is mounted for a rear wheel drive like the wrangler.

Don

Reactions: Lxxtsy
Mike,
You say that the upper sensor is #1 and lower is #2. Does that mean that the upper is upstream or positioned higher? I need to replace my 1/2 sensor. So I need the down stream sensor, right?

NTK 23161

Not if your Jeep is a right hand drive like mine 😉 Bank 1 is on the right (the Driver's side.) Just had to replace B1S2

In my experience whether changing upstream or downstream sensors it’s best to do both sides. Kinda like a headlight

Reactions: BLACKJKU