3.6 Dreaded Tapping?!?

SacredBear

hello Everyone, I picked up a 2014 Willys Wheeler and I fear I have a dud. It’s got 79k and after a 30 min drive home I heard something I didn’t on the test drive and inspection at dealer. Is this the dreaded lifter tap?
I am in the process of filling out my profile. I look forward to meeting some friendly Jeepheads here. My last was 2005 TJ sold with 235k.. I sure miss it.

Attachments

• IMG_7010.mov
    12.2 MB
If you just bought it and only drove it 30 minutes i'd take it back to the Dealer and have them check it. Don't Dealers/car lots have to give you back your money in so many days after a purchase if your not satisfied?

Make sure it is not a belt tensioner or pulley first. I had a rocker go bad and wiped out my one cam. I replaced the cam with a mopar cam but used Melling rocker arms from autozone. I paid $180 for all 24 with a discount. I did the job myself but you need some cam alignment tools. There is a good video on doing it on YouTube. It is a two part video. I have over 175k miles on mine. Nice and quiet now. I did not replace the lifters as they are usually not the problem and all mine were good. Funny thing is the rockers are almost identical to the ones found on an Audi Q7. Good luck. If you do it yourself it is a tedious process because you need to take off the intakes to get to the valve cover. While you are there check to make sure there is no fluids near the oil filter housing. Those can crack if someone over tightens the oil filter cap since they are plastic. There are aftermarket aluminum housings. While I had mine apart I put in one of the aluminum housing from Amazon.