2018 Wrangler JKU Rubicon soft top NEED HELP!

cserendipity77

Hello! I purchased a JK Unlimited Rubicon used. It came with a soft top & no door surrounds. I stupidly purchased door surrounds that I was told would work and now I’m not sure if they gave me a top that doesn’t work (with my model) at the dealer or I simply need a different style door surround. I am in PA, I don’t have much longer to ride with the top down and I am so bummed but I do want to get the right piece for the doors to make the top work so I can resolve this and easily put on ans off when I want to. The thing that also makes us wonder if this is the righ top is that there are these little notches where the top latches that don’t seem they will fit at the top of the window header. We haven’t been able to get it to stay to try and latch. I’m attaching photos of all and hoping someone can help me! Thanks so much

0D80D162-FF6F-4E03-BB43-469A7E5148BF.jpeg

11B55A38-04CB-4607-A4F6-1FB1863979FE.jpeg

1543D6EA-338F-45F1-A481-BB2E6A3552B5.jpeg

E4293A32-7772-483C-96BD-D863167C9DB5.jpeg

You have a premium top from bestop (fancy OEM). I have no idea what those door surrounds you have are, but they are your problem.

You need a 2010ish - 2018 OEM set of door surrounds for a four door. You will be unable to use early JK door surrounds as they changed the top at that point. You may be able to get a used set off craigslist, but you can also get new ones from many of the jeep aftermarket places, or mopar.

After some digging:

Did you get those from Xtreme terrain? If that is the set that I found, then the problem is that they are designed for a top w/out the sunrider feature, which the one you posted has. So keep that in mind. I would demand a refund from them, I've used a number of soft tops and the video was not clear to me that it would not work with a factory top.

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/2007-2015-wrangler-jk/soft-tops/soft-top-hardware/door-surrounds
here are some options. Like I said, the bestop is the one you should a have received, and would probably be the best made.

Just ensure that the one you pick up is four door version

Thank You! Yes, I did buy it from Extreme Terrain. This is all new to me & I appreciate your help. I did buy it open box clearance, so a refund is doubtful ans I only paid about $150.- or less so perhaps I can try to list them and atleast get my money back.
I tried and tried to search the model number on the cover for the dot top but I couldn’t find it online. I even stopped at the dealership where I purchased my Jeep in January and I also included the model number of the top on the bag (cover for soft top).
I just want to be sure this is the set for the link you posted that I would need.

again, can’t thank you enough!!

E7D357CD-8450-41BA-837A-EF31A9147D56.png

C7AD2CA2-0548-43F3-BC48-8EB595DFFF72.jpeg

Also- my husband thinks this top isn’t for my model Jeep because it has these two nubs by the latches that don’t seem like it will work. I’m unsure of that part. I don’t know if they’re all like that and it is able to latch down on the rubber or not?

C3CF5379-9060-4C07-B0C0-EBDCBFBDF585.jpeg

481CED33-7AE8-4CEF-AB12-5BF73B1FF1AD.jpeg

Those tabs are normal. Nothing to worry about there.

The sunrider top feature is the ability to fold back the front of the top. In your second picture, the plastic part runs on a rail that is part of the door surrounds. The other side of the rivet is a peg that locks into the door surround to allow that to happen. You can see the latch sticking up in the picture of the surrounds you posted.

The number you have from the cover believe is just the package number for the dual top group. I've never been able to find an effective part number for soft tops, at least not from the tops themselves.

The surrounds you linked is the proper one as far as I can tell from your pictures. You have the windows right? If you are able, a zoomed out pic of the whole thing will tell me more. But I'm almost certain you just have the OEM top and the previous owner either sold, or tossed the original door surrounds.

Post any other small parts that came with jeep. There are a couple plastic items that clip on either side of rear tailgate that hold the rear window down. The kit you linked comes with the rear window bar.

It occurred to me that I'm unsure what you mean when you say the top doesn't fit. Have you actually been able to attach it to the jeep?

Those tabs are normal. Nothing to worry about there.

The sunrider top feature is the ability to fold back the front of the top. In your second picture, the plastic part runs on a rail that is part of the door surrounds. The other side of the rivet is a peg that locks into the door surround to allow that to happen. You can see the latch sticking up in the picture of the surrounds you posted.

The number you have from the cover believe is just the package number for the dual top group. I've never been able to find an effective part number for soft tops, at least not from the tops themselves.

The surrounds you linked is the proper one as far as I can tell from your pictures. You have the windows right? If you are able, a zoomed out pic of the whole thing will tell me more. But I'm almost certain you just have the OEM top and the previous owner either sold, or tossed the original door surrounds.

Post any other small parts that came with jeep. There are a couple plastic items that clip on either side of rear tailgate that hold the rear window down. The kit you linked comes with the rear window bar.

It occurred to me that I'm unsure what you mean when you say the top doesn't fit. Have you actually been able to attach it to the jeep?
I guess what I was trying to say is because we bought the jeep used and I made a big stink about wanting a soft top curious if maybe they grabbed a soft top for my 2017 and put it in my jeep to make me happy and the reason I was wondering this was because of those two little knobs by the latches my husband was thinking that it didn’t seem like it was gonna snap in there because of those knobs but because of the other problem with having the wrong doors surround- We weren’t able to fully push down the top anyway where it would reach because it just got popping back because there was nothing for the Sunrider to click into where it bends I’m not sure if you know what I mean but I think you do I will work on getting a new surrounds and hopefully that is it or I just throw the towel in LOL

I guess what I was trying to say is because we bought the jeep used and I made a big stink about wanting a soft top curious if maybe they grabbed a soft top for my 2018 (& gave me one for an older or different model) and put it in my jeep to make me happy and the reason I was wondering this was because of those two little knobs by the latches my husband was thinking that it didn’t seem like it was gonna snap in there because of those knobs but because of the other problem with having the wrong doors surround- We weren’t able to fully push down the top anyway where it would reach because it just got popping back because there was nothing for the Sunrider to click into where it bends I’m not sure if you know what I mean but I think you do I will work on getting a new surrounds and hopefully that is it or I just throw the towel in LOL

It's very okay and quite normal to be a little wary and hesitant, especially when dealing with someone/dealer/salesman who doesn't know Jeeps and all the nuance that goes with it.
But that's also the reason forums like this exist, so we can ask questions and get suggestions from others who have possibly been thru this before or can offer insight, expertise, common sense and a little humor to lighten up the situation.

And, I'll just throw this one out there.... your last post may have been the longest single sentence I've read in a very long time, and I've been around for over 6 decades now... lol.

Good luck with the top, let us know how it works and keep asking questions.

Reactions: mrjp
ha! sorry about that.. was in a rush typing.
thank you for responding!

My husband says he physically could not latch the top because of those ‘tabs’ near the latch.
I am just hesitant to order new door surround, to then not be able to latch & get yelled at 🤪
The surrounds are not cheap..
it’s so hard to find information on this with an online search. I can’t see to see how those tabs fir

Is it just me, or has Jeep over-engineered the soft tops to the point of being a PITA?

I had an old YJ with a soft top and, although not the best design, I could have that thing up or down within 5 minutes or so.
I have a 99 TJ with a soft top, and I highly prefer the soft top on my JKU. The Early JK ones where pretty much the same thing as the TJs, but the update they did on them in 2010 fixed a ton of little things that you don't notice until you are putting them both up just before the rain hits. Newer tops are easier to work with.

The problem here is the learning curve that comes with tech that is new to people, plus the fact that we don't have Jeep dealers. We have dealers that sell everything from FCA / Stelantis. Most people on these forums know more about their jeep than the mechanics at the dealer in their town. We have one or so vehicles to worry about, they have dozens.

Here is a link to the instructions for the top I'm fairly certain you have. It also has a parts list.

If you got this from a dealer I would expect that they should get you the items you don't have. Probably high hopes there.