2018 JK HOTOIL transmission warning (248 degrees)

s2kdaniel

What is the normal operating temperature for a 2018 JK Transmission? Noticed I got HOTOIL warning yesterday pulling a 2000lb trailed in 90 degree heat going up a good long hill. Hit 248 degrees.

Without trailer, Transmission reads 180’s then at idle 204. What should be the normal operating temp and temp when stopped?

I have checked fluid. It is perfect.

Warranty is out and not sure if I even have a problem. It did have some front end damage 6 months ago that was repaired by the body shop. Any guidance is appreciated.

2000lbs is max towing capacity for a 2dr JK. Coupled with the heat and the hill I’m sure the tranny was grunting. 4door JKU with towing package maxed at 3500. Heat and a steep hill wound probably make it cry a little as well.

From what I have read and understand The ideal operating temperature of transmission fluid is 175 degrees. Overheating occurs after the temperature surpasses 200 degrees, and the failure rate doubles for every additional 20 degree increase after that. If you're 200 or over get a cooler and/or a bigger pan with cooling fins on it.

If your going to be towing quite a bit then i'd say to get a auxiliary cooler one with a separate cooling fan. Better safe then sorry.

You need to change your tranny fluid. Google tranny oil breakdown and see what happens to the oil once it gets hot.
Tranny flush is WAY cheaper than a new tranny

Believe me when I say that if you want your automatic transmission to last (especially if you do any towing or off-roading), you absolutely need an auxiliary transmission cooler. I can't stress this enough!

Reactions: Barry
B&M:
1598623347873.png

Everything you need for less than $300.
I don't tow anything (yet), but when I load a week's worth of gear into the Defender roof rack, put 2 100lb dogs in the back and head down the road, I'm not worried.
1 piece of advice with this unit that I followed after reading a couple reviews- be careful with the fittings. Don't grab a wrench and start torquing the crap out of them- they will break.

If I was to get one it would have it's own cooling fan then you could mount it under the Jeep.