2017 Wrangler was damaged from being towed with a wheel lift

Erodriguez

My 2017 Jeep Wrangler was towed using s wheel lift from the rear. When my jeep was brought to my house I knew right away that it should not have been towed like that. The owners manual clearly states towing in this fashion will damage vehicle. Not may damage vehicle but will damage. This was on a Saturday that it was brought back to me, the following Monday I had it taken to puente hills jeep Chrysler on a flatbed to have it checked. They told me the jeep was fine. A month later, either the transfer or transmission has failed. The problem took a little over a month to show. Jeep is currently still at jeep dealer. They finally got authorization from tow company to do teardown $1900 and diagnose problem. You may have to get attorney. Tow company did not want to assume responsibility for improper towing methods.

Wow, that's insane.

I almost caught a tow company doing this to my vehicle as well. This was decades ago, but I had an Mitsubishi Evolution 8. I parked it on a curb while I ran into get something. I took longer than I thought and when I came out the guy was raising it up on the tow truck. I informed him that this was an AWD vehicle and it explicitly states in the owner manual that it can't be towed this way. I told him he almost just cost thousands of dollars in damage and potentially his job. He was argumentative but at least he finally put it down.

Reactions: mrjp
This happened to me with my Audi A4! I had it in gear and the e brake engaged while parked in a no parking zone. Didn't know this since there were no signs. When I came back, I could see the tires drag marks on the road for probably a mile till im guessing thats when the transmission blew apart because the tire marks stopped. Had to get a lawyer for my no parking fine and the towing company. Ended up not having to pay the fine. The towing company paid for a new transmission, 4 tires, 2 new rims and a front bumper.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Wow, that's insane.

I almost caught a tow company doing this to my vehicle as well. This was decades ago, but I had an Mitsubishi Evolution 8. I parked it on a curb while I ran into get something. I took longer than I thought and when I came out the guy was raising it up on the tow truck. I informed him that this was an AWD vehicle and it explicitly states in the owner manual that it can't be towed this way. I told him he almost just cost thousands of dollars in damage and potentially his job. He was argumentative but at least he finally put it down.
With my temper I would have put him down. And worry about the fallout later.

Reactions: SteveF and mrjp
With my temper I would have put him down. And worry about the fallout later.

I was getting close. We were in a screaming match outside the apartment complex, I remember it vividly even though it was decades ago.

Reactions: mrjp