2017 Sahara new purchase questions

jolee

I just purchased a 2017 Sahara. It is an amazingly different than my 95 Sahara. A previous owner took out the factory radio and replaced it with an inexpensive NESA radio. Can someone tell me if navigation is standard on a 2017 Sahara? I am not too happy with the current radio and want to replace it with another. I always like factory radios but they are very expensive and unsure what to purchase. If navigation is standard on the Sahara I want to make sure I purchase a radio with navigation. Anyone have a recommendation for a good after radio?

The availability of navigation is 100% dependent on the capabilities of the headunit, not the vehicle it is in. Take the headunit out of a high end Ferrari and wire it to a 1974 Yugo, and it will still have whatever capabilities it had in the Ferrari. For that matter, you could hook it up to a power supply without a car and it would still have navigation.

If you want navigation, buy a headunit with navigation and you will be good to go. (y)

Reactions: TROY66/68
Think my Commie Liberal Pa had a Yugo. Nope, very (Freeze to death in) air cooled VW Bugs Circa 70s. I still use maps to NAV, cause it is nothing like Piloting a 152 into no headwind, with a map on your lap. It is not like you can halt at 5k ASL , to get your ground bearings. Good Times.

So, enter your vin # here and get a copy of the build sheet for your JK.

https://www.nathanson.org/davesays/2019/buildsheet-for-jeeps-vin/

If the build sheet shows a 430N entertainment system, it had the navigation system. Now, what I will also tell you is the loaded nav systems in these head units are CD-ROM sourced, so the navigation will likely only be good from the time the JK was built. In other words, it's not going to show you any roads or routes built since 2017 unless the PO purchased updates for it. You'll have to order a navigation update:

https://chryslergroup.navigation.co...gler_2017/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD?fromModel=true

I think, if memory serves me, this will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $100. You'll have to download it, upon purchase, to a flash drive, then upload it from the flash drive via the USB port to the 430N. It's a pain in the a$$.

I have a 430N in my Sahara and I never use it. I think the quality is far below any app you can put on your phone. I have this phone mount that sits right next to my head unit and I use Google maps almost exclusively if I need directions.

1682083331905.png

1682083766740.png

But, the alternative is to buy a new head unit that has either the apple or android car play systems that has google maps installed and not have to worry about updating, buying, etc. That is what I'd recommend.

Last edited:
I always wanted to install custom topographic maps on the Uconnect but I haven't ever been able to figure that out. I just use a phone app now.
I have a Dasaita Android 10.2" head unit. It's full android so I can install any app including several mapping apps that have full topos. Lots of flexibility but can be fussy to get just right.

I have a Dasaita Android 10.2" head unit. It's full android so I can install any app including several mapping apps that have full topos. Lots of flexibility but can be fussy to get just right.
I have a topo map application for my android phone and it's great. You can record really precise trails. I use it for mapping trails you can't see on the satellite view.

Reactions: Dirty Dog