2016 Wrangler engine light on, misfire code but.... Runs smooth, changed plugs, and coils. HELP.....

MJF1800

It's a 2016 Wrangler with 75k miles. I changed the plugs and coils, the vehicle runs smooth but the Engine Light keeps coming on with misfire code. Cylinder #2. My mechanic buddy said to run premium and Berryman's in the tank. Said it might be some crud on the intake valves. Anyone have any suggestions?

It's funny how these lights can torment us. Our senses and experience says it's fine but the lights scare us into believing there is a problem. This is my wife's jeep from brand new and she uses 87 octane and drives it really easy. I can see how the intake valve could get buildup but I'm sure someone has some advice. Ihaven't thought about an injector issue because it runs so well. Thanks.

Last edited:
Gunk can clog up the valves or injectors.
Buildup restricting the flow of air or fuel into the cylinders will cause an occasional misfire, but probably not at idle (because there's plenty of flow at idle...). And you're extremely unlikely to notice a couple misfires per minute when your engine is under load.
I don't see how premium gas would help, but do make sure you're using gas with good detergents, and you should run a couple bottles of injector cleaner through the system.

Yeah, the Berryman's is for cleaning the fuel system all the way through and the Premium was for full clean burn and detergents. ExxonMobil is what I've used so far. Thank you very much for the help and suggestions.🤞😇

Reactions: Dirty Dog
One thing you might do is to pull the plug that is allegedly misfiring, and another, which isn't, and compare them. The fact that a specific cylinder is being reported suggests that the problem is at the cylinder. The injector, coil, or spark plug, or possibly the wire. I've always kept the thought in mind that simply because a part is supposedly new doesn't mean it is necessarily a good part. You might also have a vacuum leak at the intake manifold at the cylinder, but I think that would be noticeable when you're driving.

That's good advice. I'll definitely give it a try. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't have any signs of a miss. I need a real Jeep mechanic that isn't motivated by money but by the joy of fixing vehicles. Lol.

Reactions: Duster
That's good advice. I'll definitely give it a try. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't have any signs of a miss. I need a real Jeep mechanic that isn't motivated by money but by the joy of fixing vehicles. Lol.
Lot's of luck with that.

Reactions: Danarch