2016 Jeep Wrangler Blown Head Gasket

Dhubley21

Hello all,

I have a 2016 Wrangler. One owner (me). Had regular maintenance, oil changes. 80,000 miles. Check engine light came on last month, took it to a shop and they said it had a blown head gasket. No engine troubles, but the engine temp did raise a bit once after running it for ten minutes. Sent me a bill for $4k to fix it. Step dad suggested to flush out the engine and use the blue devil sealant. When we flushed out the engine there was some residue. Water was not mixed with oil though. Used the sealant. Been starting it and leaving it on throughout the week in intervals. Check engine light comes off and then the next day comes back on again. No increase on engine temp,. But there is water dripping out of the exhaust. Thinking I should just run it regularly and see what happens. See if it clears out the exhaust. Would love this forum's thoughts before I have to bite the bullet on the $4k.

Hello all,

I have a 2016 Wrangler. One owner (me). Had regular maintenance, oil changes. 80,000 miles. Check engine light came on last month, took it to a shop and they said it had a blown head gasket. No engine troubles, but the engine temp did raise a bit once after running it for ten minutes. Sent me a bill for $4k to fix it. Step dad suggested to flush out the engine and use the blue devil sealant. When we flushed out the engine there was some residue. Water was not mixed with oil though. Used the sealant. Been starting it and leaving it on throughout the week in intervals. Check engine light comes off and then the next day comes back on again. No increase on engine temp,. But there is water dripping out of the exhaust. Thinking I should just run it regularly and see what happens. See if it clears out the exhaust. Would love this forum's thoughts before I have to bite the bullet on the $4k.

Is it loosing coolant? You can buy a test kit to check for combustion gases in the cooling system. Water dripping out the exhaust doesn't always mean it's coolant unless it's the color of the coolant.

I would get a 2nd opinion before spending $4,000 for a headgasket replacement.

Is it loosing coolant? You can buy a test kit to check for combustion gases in the cooling system. Water dripping out the exhaust doesn't always mean it's coolant unless it's the color of the coolant.

Thanks! I’ll check out the testing kit but not loosing any coolant. It appears to be water, no coloration and no smell.

Thanks! I’ll check out the testing kit but not loosing any coolant. It appears to be water, no coloration and no smell.

In cold weather the heating and cooling of the hot exhaust system will make condensation come out the tail pipe.

Reactions: mrjp
If the light is still on, take it to a local parts store. Advanced Auto, and Oreille's let you borrow a reader. Some stores will help with it if you have never used one. You can post the code here for us to opinion on.

Just drove it around town for an hour or so. Check engine light came back on throwing a cylinder 6 misfire. Ran smooth, no fluid loss. New town so don’t know reputable mechanics. Local driving for a bit and keep an eye on things while I find a reputable mechanic?

Just drove it around town for an hour or so. Check engine light came back on throwing a cylinder 6 misfire. Ran smooth, no fluid loss. New town so don’t know reputable mechanics. Local driving for a bit and keep an eye on things while I find a reputable mechanic?

That no 6 misfire could be one of the common 3.6's problems, has it had the cylinder heads replaced?

Just the upper intake plenum gasket replaced. This happened a few months ago when I had a cylinder 6 misfire. Replaced and then brought back in with the second engine light came on and then that’s when they told us it had a blown head gasket.

And now we are back to reading the misfire…

Just the upper intake plenum gasket replaced. This happened a few months ago when I had a cylinder 6 misfire. Replaced and then brought back in with the second engine light came on and then that’s when they told us it had a blown head gasket.

And now we are back to reading the misfire…

It could be something as simple as a connection on the connector on the harness for that cyl.

Reactions: mrjp and Dhubley21
Hello all,

What tests did they do to confirm a head gasket was blown? When were your spark plugs/wires last changed? What CEL codes came up?

Last thing I would do is start adding gunk sealants. At best they're a very temporary bandaid for an actual problem that needs fixed.

I'd take it to another shop and see what they say if doing the tests isn't something you can/want to do yourself.

This "new member" just ghosted.
Perhaps, but this is nothing more than a forum on the internet. Personally I'm here for the answers I get and the help I can provide, and the joy of wranglers. If this ever turns into an elite-est sort of a site like some of the other jeep forums I wouldn't post anymore. A buddy of mine has a hummer and he hates going on the forums because of how snobbish everyone is there.

Maybe the OP will pop back in after the holidays, perhaps not. Shaming those that don't engage past a couple of posts doesn't make this a more inviting place to the casual questions that we get all the time. It's awesome if they come back and give us feedback weather a solution works or not, but it doesn't always happen. It's the internet.

Reactions: Creston and mrjp
id do the above mentioned combustion gas test. Takes 1 minute and 25 bucks. If that fails then you have a head gasket issue. If that passed id do a cylinder leakdown test. Takes a few more minutes and the tool costs 50 or so. If you can change your spark plugs you can do the test Both are easy and 75 bucks isn't much if it saves anyone from spending 4k on head gaskets. If both pass then you don't have a blown head

4k is pretty dang high. That would be my my "I don't want the job but if I have to do it I won't do it for less than..... price) (that's probably up into my "I just don't like you and don't want you in my shop" price). Head gaskets on these aren't the worst by any means but isn't for the faint of heart either. You usually spend a much time getting out one or two of the exhaust bolts (they are tiny and break) than the job takes. Last one I done broke of the back bolt on the driver's side. Pia to get too. Brake booster, steering sector shaft etc etc in the way. Then if the shop gets the head trued (they should.... not all do. Most don't) that's more cost. Perhaps the shop is doing more work for that price. Pump, timing, idk. Even the dealer would not charge that much just for head gaskets i don't think

If I know someone run a sealer in the engine I'll likely not do the job either. I can't warranty my work with crap in the cooling system and by design, once it's in there is no flushing it out. When the pump fails or heater core or water jackets stops up I don't want them thinking my head gasket job caused it. Easy enough for them to find a shop that doesn't warrant their work to do it.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but this is nothing more than a forum on the internet. Personally I'm here for the answers I get and the help I can provide, and the joy of wranglers. If this ever turns into an elite-est sort of a site like some of the other jeep forums I wouldn't post anymore. A buddy of mine has a hummer and he hates going on the forums because of how snobbish everyone is there.

Maybe the OP will pop back in after the holidays, perhaps not. Shaming those that don't engage past a couple of posts doesn't make this a more inviting place to the casual questions that we get all the time. It's awesome if they come back and give us feedback weather a solution works or not, but it doesn't always happen. It's the internet.

Ya man, you took my comment way outta place. Im not being a snob. If it came off that way, that wasn't my intent whatsoever. 👍

Reactions: MacGuyver
. . . No increase on engine temp,. But there is water dripping out of the exhaust. . . .
How long do you run it with water dripping out of the exhaust? Water is a combustion product of gasoline and literally must be present. As the exhaust line heats up the water should cease to drip. Once the engine is up to temperature and the exhaust pipe is too hot to touch, there should be no water.