2015 JKU with front end clunk

WhatTheFitz

Hey everyone, first post so go easy on me.

I’ve had my 2015 JKU Sport for about a year now, and it’s been kept entirely stock until now. I just put some ProComp 31 series wheels and some Firestone Destination X/T tires on it (LT285/70R17). Love the tires and how they ride; but when going home from the shop I noticed a clunking noise coming from the front end when coasting down from about 20mph. There’s no play in the tie rods, drag link, or ball joints; and no vibration in the steering or at high speed. Tires aren’t rubbing anything that I can find, not even at full steering lock. It’s not the tape weights contacting the calipers either. She’s got 49,328 miles on her. I’d love some ideas! Thanks guys!

So it didn't do it before the tire install, but does it after the tire install?

Is that all the shop did was install new wheels and tires, nothing else?

So it didn't do it before the tire install, but does it after the tire install?

Is that all the shop did was install new wheels and tires, nothing else?
If it did it before the new wheels/tires, it was silent. After driving to work today I was able to confirm it does not make the noise while the engine is putting power to the rear wheels, ONLY when coasting. Also forgot to mention in the OP that I had the passenger rear axle seal and bearing replaced at the dealer under a warranty claim, noticed it had begun leaking after I installed new pads and rotors on the rear end. Makes me wonder if it’s actually a drivetrain problem coming from the rear; possibly not refilling the rear diff oil after the axle seal change...

If it did it before the new wheels/tires, it was silent. After driving to work today I was able to confirm it does not make the noise while the engine is putting power to the rear wheels, ONLY when coasting. Also forgot to mention in the OP that I had the passenger rear axle seal and bearing replaced at the dealer under a warranty claim, noticed it had begun leaking after I installed new pads and rotors on the rear end. Makes me wonder if it’s actually a drivetrain problem coming from the rear; possibly not refilling the rear diff oil after the axle seal change...
Had the axle seal/bearing replaced 2 days before the new wheels and tires.

Makes me wonder if it’s actually a drivetrain problem coming from the rear; possibly not refilling the rear diff oil after the axle seal change...

That would be my guess, yes. I say that because I've had new wheels and tires put on more times than I can count, and never once have I experienced a clunk from that. The only time that's ever happened was when work had been done to the drivetrain.

For instance, one time the "clunk" noise was the shock boot on my Rancho RS5000X shock contacting something on the frame whenever I hit a bump in the road.

I would definitely follow up on your hunch here.