2015 JKU tire upgrade

Chibluefreedom

I have a 2015 jku freedom edition.its my daily driver and i hit the trails once in a great while. I plan to buy new tires but nothing crazy. Ill be using my stock wheels also. Stock size is 255/75/17. I want to upgrade to BFg ko2 tires. Im looking at two sizes. LT255/75/17 and 285/70/17. Its not a huge upgrade but ive heard a few different opinions about putting these tires on. Do i need a level kit or spacers? Also would i need a superchips programmer to adjust speedometer?

A 285 is roughly equivalent to a 33" tire. To fit that, you'll ideally want a 2" lift. Yes, you can fit it without a lift, but you'll lose up-travel, which will affect both your on-road and off-road performance.

You do not need a programmer of any sort, just download the J-Scan app from the app store, and buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/?tag=jkforum-20

Once you do that you can connect to your vehicle with the J-Scan app and there will be an option to change the default tire size in the PCM. You change it to your new tire size, and it re-calibrates the speedometer for you. Easy peasy!

KO2s are fantastic tires, I love mine!

A 285 is roughly equivalent to a 33" tire. To fit that, you'll ideally want a 2" lift. Yes, you can fit it without a lift, but you'll lose up-travel, which will affect both your on-road and off-road performance.

You do not need a programmer of any sort, just download the J-Scan app from the app store, and buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/?tag=jkforum-20

Once you do that you can connect to your vehicle with the J-Scan app and there will be an option to change the default tire size in the PCM. You change it to your new tire size, and it re-calibrates the speedometer for you. Easy peasy!

KO2s are fantastic tires, I love mine!

Wow dude your f'n awesome. Ive been on a bunch of forums and this one is the real deal. Eventually in the future i want to do a lift and bigger tires but for now i can only afford the tires and a maybe a leveling kit. Youre 100% right about 285. The overall diameter is 32.8. I'm thinking about just getting the other tires now(LT255 Overall diameter 32.1). Would i still need the 2"lift? I only considered the leveling kit because i figured if the tires rubbed a little the extra clearance might help. 2 shops have recommended parts and labor that equal over 1k$ and thats only for the level kit, and spacers they so confidently say im gonna need for any of these tires.

Reactions: Chris
Wow dude your f'n awesome. Ive been on a bunch of forums and this one is the real deal. Eventually in the future i want to do a lift and bigger tires but for now i can only afford the tires and a maybe a leveling kit. Youre 100% right about 285. The overall diameter is 32.8. I'm thinking about just getting the other tires now(LT255 Overall diameter 32.1). Would i still need the 2"lift? I only considered the leveling kit because i figured if the tires rubbed a little the extra clearance might help. 2 shops have recommended parts and labor that equal over 1k$ and thats only for the level kit, and spacers they so confidently say im gonna need for any of these tires.

With a 255 tire, you definitely won't need any lift at all, you'll be just fine.

285s technically even fit stock, but they'll get in the way on bumps or if you take it off-roading.

And no problem, I'm always happy to help. Believe me when I say that J-Scan app is one of the best things ever invented!

With a 255 tire, you definitely won't need any lift at all, you'll be just fine.

285s technically even fit stock, but they'll get in the way on bumps or if you take it off-roading.

And no problem, I'm always happy to help. Believe me when I say that J-Scan app is one of the best things ever invented!

I felt like a noob asking this question. I didnt know anyone who owned or is familiar with jeeps and the "pro"custom shops just want to charge an arm and a leg for something i don't want or need. I feel alot better knowing i dont have to mess with the suspension just yet. Id rather save for a complete lift than waste the money on any unnecessary parts. Ill probably buy tires next few days and hopefully have that obd tuner you recommended shipped soon to me. Appreciate the help. Thanks again

I felt like a noob asking this question. I didnt know anyone who owned or is familiar with jeeps and the "pro"custom shops just want to charge an arm and a leg for something i don't want or need. I feel alot better knowing i dont have to mess with the suspension just yet. Id rather save for a complete lift than waste the money on any unnecessary parts. Ill probably buy tires next few days and hopefully have that obd tuner you recommended shipped soon to me. Appreciate the help. Thanks again

Well, my guess is they just want to make a buck. It's really hard to find good, reliable shops that won't try to up-sell you every chance they get.

Anyways, post some photos once you get the tires installed, and good luck with it (y)