2015 JKU Door Glass

Bluem&mJKU

Good Morning All
I searched the forums and did not find anything like this so I pologize if I missed a previous thread.
I have a 2015 JKU, new to me. While cleaning the interior glass I sprayed glass cleaner that I have used for years and there is a metallic film that I have damaged on the inside of the glass. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possibly a film the previous owner installed that I have now damaged?

Glass Pic 3.jpg

Glass Pic 1.jpg

Glass Pic 2.jpg

What glass cleaner do you use?

My first thought is that they put tint on the window, look to the upper edge of the window for a seam. Hard to spot if done professionally. Though a regular ammonia based glass cleaner should have no effect on that.

Sprayway. Have used on several windows for many years. Including 2003 Wrangler, 2014 Tacoma, 2007 Xterra. Never had an issue. I dont know if this was a coating or film the previous owner applied or if it is a factory thing. Was thinking about just replacing the window if it's a factory thing. Of course I stopped cleaning the glass with this area.

Cleaner.jpg

Sprayway. Have used on several windows for many years. Including 2003 Wrangler, 2014 Tacoma, 2007 Xterra. Never had an issue. I dont know if this was a coating or film the previous owner applied or if it is a factory thing. Was thinking about just replacing the window if it's a factory thing. Of course I stopped cleaning the glass with this area.

View attachment 120682
I'm sure it's a tint put on by PO. I'm not sure how removable those are. There has to be many many youtube vids about doing it though, not to mention identifying if you have some. That front window looked way to mirrored for factory too me, though it was a short angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
That's wild! I use the same glass cleaner on the dark tinted windows on my 15. There has to be some kind of cheap "tint" or window film on it. Grab yourself a razor blade, dawn dish soap, a spray bottle and paper towels. Roll down your window about 4 inches and see if you can scrape a corner to peal it off the window. The film/tint will leave a sticky residue. Add some dish soap and water to the spray bottle, spray your window and use the razor blaze at a 45° to scrape the glue off.

Reactions: Bluem&mJKU and mrjp