2014 JK headlights

Ghstrydr

JK Enthusiast
I just installed LED headlights, I had to file down 2 taps on the right side light slightly to get it to slide in the slots completely. Now that I am done and thinking about it, is there a difference in the size of the headlights from right to left?
I did not even give this a thought prior to installation given that it would not seem likely.

I just installed LED headlights, I had to file down 2 taps on the right side light slightly to get it to slide in the slots completely. Now that I am done and thinking about it, is there a difference in the size of the headlights from right to left?
I did not even give this a thought prior to installation given that it would not seem likely.
No, but headlights are not manufactured specifically for the left and right sides unless you're driving some ridiculously expensive Euro sports car. The headlight housing female tab slots on the 2014 JKU (which I also own) is different from driver to passenger side, which is why you had to do a shop mod to the headlight tabs.
Wasn't a big deal, took about 3 minutes with a razor blade. The difficult part was making sure it was a snug in the housing as it could be before tightening it down. The headlight wanted to slip off the tab and rotate just enough to dick it up.
Remember to adjust the new headlights. Don't assume the same settings from the originals will work. Stock Jeep headlights were complete ass- the best money I've spent on mine has been the headlights and fog lights.

Last edited:
You are correct, not difficult to mod and the retainer ring fit flush. I marked the location of the oem light beam on my garage door. I ended up lowering the left headlight all the way down and the right close to the same. The LED headlights are a great improvement over stock no doubt.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
You are correct, not difficult to mod and the retainer ring fit flush. I marked the location of the oem light beam on my garage door. I ended up lowering the left headlight all the way down and the right close to the same. The LED headlights are a great improvement over stock no doubt.
But still take it out after dark and check your illuminated field of vision. Also pay attention if you get a lot of high beam flashes from oncoming drivers who are getting blinded. Very common for lifted Jeeps to not have the headlights adjusted, but it's not very noticeable because of the crap headlights. Now that you have a much better headlight, the fact is they may be a touch high and you'll get flashed.

But still take it out after dark and check your illuminated field of vision. Also pay attention if you get a lot of high beam flashes from oncoming drivers who are getting blinded. Very common for lifted Jeeps to not have the headlights adjusted, but it's not very noticeable because of the crap headlights. Now that you have a much better headlight, the fact is they may be a touch high and you'll get flashed.
Yep, will do. My JK is not lifted, pretty much stock except for the LED lights, so I am hopeful not to be flashedo_O

Not left or right but, make sure they are rights side up. Also, you might want to search this forum on the topic of LED headlights causing radio reception problems. Have you tested radio reception with the new headlights on and off? I've run into this issue on one of my 4x4s.

Not left or right but, make sure they are rights side up. Also, you might want to search this forum on the topic of LED headlights causing radio reception problems. Have you tested radio reception with the new headlights on and off? I've run into this issue on one of my 4x4s.
All's good, they are in, adjusted, and no static when the radio is. Boy what a difference from the stock units.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Took a bit of a chance on these, however they worked out great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074T7JS1L/?tag=jkforum-20
These are the same ones I put on a little over a year ago. Wasn't too much later when I installed the matching fog lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015X0WIM4/?tag=jkforum-20

Huge illumination difference and a great look. I bought a pair of black retainers to encircle the headlights- has a good look.

20201229_120905.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghstrydr
These are the same ones I put on a little over a year ago. Wasn't too much later when I installed the matching fog lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015X0WIM4/?tag=jkforum-20

Huge illumination difference!
Interesting, I did the same, installed the matching fog lights. Just recently I added side makers and directionals. However, if I'm on a radio station that is sometimes a bit hard to get the directionals will interfere with matching static to the pulse of the blinker. This could also be caused by the shorty antenna I have. I do also have the LED brake light but there was no radio pulse static until I added the front LED directionals.
P.S. I like the black headlight surrounds, I have given them some thought too.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Does radio static and LED lights occur with terrestrial radio or satellite radio or both? I've read and heard a lot about interference like this, but I've not seen anyone make a distinction, if there is one?
PS: you'll have to excuse Rhino, she's a lot dirty right now....

Does radio static and LED lights occur with terrestrial radio or satellite radio or both? I've read and heard a lot about interference like this, but I've not seen anyone make a distinction, if there is one?
PS: you'll have to excuse Rhino, she's a lot dirty right now....
I only use terrestrial radio, or streaming audio, no satellite subscription, so to answer you question only with terrestrial as far as I know. Your jeep still looks good, mud or no mud:) The static only occurs with the pulse of the directional and only on one station that is on the edge of my reception range. This also varies, if I'm in an area where I happen to get a stronger signal with that given station, no static. There is no static on any other station, at least the ones I listen to.