2014 in need of an engine

bigurq

I purchased a 2014 Jeep Wrangler from a dealership in March, 2020. Soon after purchasing, it made a ticking noise in the engine and also made a loud clacking noise underneath. The dealership couldn’t find an issue and sent me on my way. I took it to a local mechanic thinking a rocker needed to be repaired, and he told me I needed a new engine. There were large metal pieces located in the block and oil pan. The engine only has 80,000 miles. He said that valves have been damaged and he has seen this issue several times while working for a local Jeep Dealership. He said the 3.6 is not a very good engine. I am looking at about $6,000 to replace the motor. Has anyone else had a similar situation happen to them?

They probably sent you on your way because they new there was a problem and if it was right after you purchased it they should have taken it back. Do you have proof you took it to them and they said nothing was wrong?

Reactions: mrjp
I do. I have the service report in which they stated they had found nothing. My mechanic is getting me a sample of the oil and I am also going to post a complaint on the NHTSA site. I just checked my phone and I have several recordings in which you can clearly hear the noise. I sent this to them as well.

Stinks you are having issues at 80k and that price seems very high for a motor swap. Low mileage used motor could be installed for roughly half that.

As for the 3.6 being “not a very good engine”, a few billion trouble free miles across the FCA lineup over the last decade prove otherwise.

Reactions: mrjp and MacGuyver
The 3.6 is a great engine, but $6000 to replace the engine? That's fucking highway robbery. I can replace the 4.0 in my TJ with a brand new one for around $2000 😲

Reactions: mrjp
I purchased a 2014 Jeep Wrangler from a dealership in March, 2020. Soon after purchasing, it made a ticking noise in the engine and also made a loud clacking noise underneath. The dealership couldn’t find an issue and sent me on my way. I took it to a local mechanic thinking a rocker needed to be repaired, and he told me I needed a new engine. There were large metal pieces located in the block and oil pan. The engine only has 80,000 miles. He said that valves have been damaged and he has seen this issue several times while working for a local Jeep Dealership. He said the 3.6 is not a very good engine. I am looking at about $6,000 to replace the motor. Has anyone else had a similar situation happen to them?

Yes my 2017 Unlimited Sport Jeep Wrangler is having that same issue right now as we speak. I took it to a local mechanic & he also told me the same thing. I’m going to take it to the dealership today to see if I receive the same response.