2013 Wrangler JK Sahara headlight question

Richard Fry

I have recently purchased a 2013 Sahara seems something a little weird is going on with the headlights, they work fine in on position while driving but if I switch them to auto or turn them off when I turn off the engine they just go dim.. weirdly when engine is off they shut off when I pull the e-brake.. It is my first jeep but as I am just learning about it I am hoping to get a few ideas on what to start looking at.. any info would be greatly appreciated.

If the DRL settings are configured to use the headlights for DRL, they will turn off when you set the handbrake.
Your post makes it seem that they NEVER turn off unless you set the handbrake. Is that correct?

If the DRL settings are configured to use the headlights for DRL, they will turn off when you set the handbrake.
Your post makes it seem that they NEVER turn off unless you set the handbrake. Is that correct?
Thank you for your reply,, I have only noticed this happening in the last week or so but I never really looked for it before. yes they just go dim when I turn them off at the switch.. I haven't really sat there for a while to watch them after that.. I just normally always set my parking brake and noticed them turning off with that.. which was weird to me but then again I know little about Jeeps.. Is this something that is corrected by a programmer?

Last edited:
It's a courtesy option. Kinda like your dome light going dim then shutting off after closing the door. My 2012 does this.

Thank you for your reply,, I have only noticed this happening in the last week or so but I never really looked for it before. yes they just go dim when I turn them off at the switch.. I haven't really sat there for a while to watch them after that.. I just normally always set my parking brake and noticed them turning off with that.. which was weird to me but then again I know little about Jeeps.. Is this something that is corrected by a programmer?
It's not corrected at all. It's supposed to be that way. It provides light when you're entering or exiting the vehicle. So you don't trip over something and break your head.

It's not corrected at all. It's supposed to be that way. It provides light when you're entering or exiting the vehicle. So you don't trip over something and break your head.
Fantastic ,as long as I know its supposed to do that then I'm good.. just had never seen it before.. thank you so much for your reply.