2013 Manual Transmission, sudden loss of power while cruising

linc156

I have a 2013 Wrangler Sport. This has happened a few times over the years and twice recently. While cruising at 65mph in 4th, the traction control light and check engine light turn on and I lose throttle power. I have to push down further on the accelerator to get the same speed in the same gear. Additionally, the "power" band for all of the gears moves lower. So rather than accelerating from 2500 - 3500, I am accelerating from 1000-2500 before needing to shift. This problem typically goes away on its own, but i'd like to know why it's happening.

Sounds like it might have gone into "Limp Home" mode? Don't know much about this

Note on the traction control light: had it in the dealership for an oil change and some other work, and they mentioned that there were some issues with the sensor. They didn't have the parts to replace it at the time, but they said it shouldn't cause any problems but might pop on randomly (which it has a few times a week since then)

Last edited:
That should be a free easy fix for you, the underhood insulation is getting sucked over the air intake for the filter. Read this link for the fix.

That should be a free easy fix for you, the underhood insulation is getting sucked over the air intake for the filter. Read this link for the fix.

[/URL]
Dang, this sounds exactly like what is happening. Unfortunately it looks like the person who had the jeep before me removed the underhood insulation (never even realized until now lol). So there's nothing near the air intake that could be blocking it and choking the engine.

I did check the codes via the key trick, and came up with P0344 (cam position sensor A circuit intermittent) and P0394 (cam position sensor b circuit intermittent). Which, from what I've read, can cause limp mode. However, I haven't found a straight answer on whether or not manual transmission wranglers will even go into limp mode. I also can't reach the sensor plug to try to inspect/reseat it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Dang, this sounds exactly like what is happening. Unfortunately it looks like the person who had the jeep before me removed the underhood insulation (never even realized until now lol). So there's nothing near the air intake that could be blocking it and choking the engine.

I did check the codes via the key trick, and came up with P0344 (cam position sensor A circuit intermittent) and P0394 (cam position sensor b circuit intermittent). Which, from what I've read, can cause limp mode. However, I haven't found a straight answer on whether or not manual transmission wranglers will even go into limp mode. I also can't reach the sensor plug to try to inspect/reseat it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Well so much for easy fix, if it can go into limp mode because of a engine problem I doubt if it matters if it's a auto or manual trans.