2013 JK Unlimited starts cold but hard / no start when hot

ryangman

Been having a chronic issue with my Jeep and the shop can't seem to figure out the problem. It has been doing this thing where it starts up fine cold (first ignition of the day) but after i drive it around it has starting problems. If I turn it off then start it right back up it will start fine but if I turn it off then wait a little bit (10-20 min) then it won't start and I have to wait for the whole thing to cool down to get a hard start. SO far the shop has tried changing the oil cooler assembly which was a total scam, doing a fuel pump relay bypass in the TIPM and then they just pulled the crankshaft position sensor and they said it had oil in it. After they messed with the sensor the problem is still not fixed but it seems the symptoms may have lessened a bit. I have also had fuel pressure tested and it is nominal and I can hear the fuel pump turn on when the key is turned on but the engine isn't started. I also changed the alternator a few months back but not sure if this would have any effect. Any help or insight is much appreciated.

I used to have this problem and it was because the heat shield was missing from the starter, causing the starter to overheat. Once I replaced the starter and installed a new heat shield it started every time, even when hot.