2013 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L Starting Issues After Doing Lifters and Timing Chain

BrandonB

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L barely starts after I finished doing my timing chain and rockers/lifters. One of my timing chain guides had failed and broke causing a ticking/clacking noise. After pulling it all apart and installing a new Melling timing chain kit along with sprockets the vehicle will no longer start/ stay running unless I pull one of the vacuum lines off the intake. It will then stay running but is very rough. Without the vacuum leak it will crank for a few seconds and then turn on and immediately shut off. I was meticulous about the timing marks and followed the Melling video to a tee. All the timing marks on the cams and main timing sprocket were as they should be with piston #1 at TDC. I've gone over all the plugs and sensors and they're all plugged in properly. The camshaft and crank shaft sensors are functioning and the only check engines codes I get related to the engine are P0300 (Multiple Cylinder Misfires), P258B (Electric Vacuum Pump Performance), and P0113 (Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High). Also my exhaust cams are sitting at negative 5 to 6 degrees compared to my intake cams which sit around negative 2 and positive 1 while I have it running with the vacuum leak. Where as my sisters jeep they all sit around 0 to negative 2 degrees while her jeep is running normally as shown in the pictures below. Has Anyone dealt with something similar or have any ideas/ solutions for this problem?

My Jeep.jpeg

My Sisters Jeep.jpeg

From the data you've provided it seems as though either your cams sprockets are off maybe by a tooth or the phasers aren't working properly. Possibly some debris got in the oil circuit during the repair?

Reactions: vaffanculo