2012 Wrangler Harsh Downshift and Occasional Stall when Shifted into Reverse

DON A

Howdy gang, Had an issue with my 2012 JK where a real harsh/bang downshift would occur on long, slight inclines when it seemed as if the transmission would normally do a downshift due to speed declining and additional load on it because of the hill. Instead of the normal smooth downshift, a real harsh downshift developed. Also an occasional stall would occur when shifting into reverse in a parking lot or whatever. It'd stall and then start right back up and be fine. No check engine light, no codes stored not much I could find on the internet on the issue. Anyway, I did see where quite a lot of folks were having issues with the Crankshaft Position Sensor so I decided to give that a try. FIXED IT . The new crank position sensor fixed both issues. No more harsh downshift or stalling. The stalling issue I understand, but the new crank sensor also cured the downshift problem too... By the way the crank sensor is a piece of cake to replace.

Howdy gang, Had an issue with my 2012 JK where a real harsh/bang downshift would occur on long, slight inclines when it seemed as if the transmission would normally do a downshift due to speed declining and additional load on it because of the hill. Instead of the normal smooth downshift, a real harsh downshift developed. Also an occasional stall would occur when shifting into reverse in a parking lot or whatever. It'd stall and then start right back up and be fine. No check engine light, no codes stored not much I could find on the internet on the issue. Anyway, I did see where quite a lot of folks were having issues with the Crankshaft Position Sensor so I decided to give that a try. FIXED IT . The new crank position sensor fixed both issues. No more harsh downshift or stalling. The stalling issue I understand, but the new crank sensor also cured the downshift problem too... By the way the crank sensor is a piece of cake to replace.

Thanks for the info it might help someone else.

Reactions: DON A