2012 Rubicon Unlimited Rust Review

PurpleLlama

Hi everyone reading,

I was hoping to get some estimates on how badly rusted you guys think this Jeeps undercarriage is. It's spent it's whole life in Chicagoland enduring the back half of it's life outside on the street exposed to the elements. After looking underneath the rust on some of the skid plates and even upper frame rails looked concerning. Please let me know how urgent this rust appears to you guys out there that know more than me?
-I'm giving it a spray down later today but it seems as there hasn't been any rust proofing in a while if at all. Anyways here are the links to the pics I was able to take of it.

Thank you guys so much!

In my 2009 the thing I have had to replace is the gas tank 'skid' plate. It's the weak point for JKs and should be a good measure of how the rest of the system is. If it's bad, it's not the same deal breaker as a rotted out frame, but it's still $400 - $500 just for the part.

Just something to check out.

Yup, my gas tank skid plate is starting to look its age. I do not off road, will see how bad it is this spring when I can crawl around under.

Reactions: BigAL07
Yup got us by the short hairs on that piece for sure. Gona get a good coating of Por-15 and top coat before it goes on for sure. Should hold her for a while. 16 years of West Virginia salt took its toll. 🍺🍺

Reactions: TROY66/68
13 winters here of salt brine mix slop. My JK is deep blue when clean, but right now it is salt white ( does blend in to our winter here) except for the freedom top. LOL

Reactions: BigAL07
Little surface rust is nothing. I tend to be concerned with under the hood 🍺🍺

Last edited: