2012 JK Cooling Fan Control Circuit

Nomad762

Hello JK Forum. I'm new to forum and I am original owner of my JK.
The JK started overheating about a month ago, P0480 code- Cooling Fan 1 Circuit Control. Fan would accelerate once heated up. Also have a P0118- Eng. Coolant Sensor & P0113 IAC sensor. Mileage is at 201k. So I figured I'm do for some big repairs.
This is the list of repairs I have done since:
- engine cooling fan
- radiator
- water pump
- thermostat (x2)
- fan relay
- Fan fuse (60 amp) J-19
- engine coolant sensor
- intake air sensor
- evaporated sensor system int. module
- elevated rt front end to ensure no air in coolant system, refilled radiator fluid.
Cleared the codes just to have them all pop up again.
Jeep is running slightly hotter than normal (midway+ on idiot light). After changing fuse on fan it stopped accelerating. Latest thing is the "eco" stopped coming on when driving on freeway.
I have no leaks and am hoping somebody might have an idea to help me. Not sure if the TIPM might be the problem or something else. I've read the VSS might affect overheating and some electrical wiring. I'm handy enough to follow directions and fix it myself, rather than get hosed at the dealer.
Thanks in advance!

Are you sure you got all the air out of the system? It sounds like it takes some work to get the air out. Did you use OEM parts for the sensors? JK’s somehow seem to know if the sensors are not OEM.

The ECO can be turned off in the information center (depending on the model). If you disconnected the battery you may need to turn the notice back on in the settings.

Reactions: mrjp
Are you sure you got all the air out of the system? It sounds like it takes some work to get the air out. Did you use OEM parts for the sensors? JK’s somehow seem to know if the sensors are not OEM.

The ECO can be turned off in the information center (depending on the model). If you disconnected the battery you may need to turn the notice back on in the settings.
Not 100% if I got all air out. I didn't use OEM for sensors. Used the air bleeder on thermostat, then lifted front end up, engine running and topping off radiator. In between refills I revved up until I didn't see any bubbling.
Suppose I can buy new OEM sensors and try that.

Also, thanks for info about ECO. I will check that out. I did disconnect battery when I took off alternator for water pump.

Also, thanks for info about ECO. I will check that out. I did disconnect battery when I took off alternator for water pump.
My understanding is if you're throwing certain codes, the ECO light won't show because the engine is not running at optimum performance.
Before you buy a bunch of OEM sensors, try resetting the ECM with the new sensors and see if it learns them and saves you some money.
Also, did you replace coolant with proper mix?

You say you have identified and cleared codes, so I'm guessing you have JScan or something similar. I would suggest you let the engine cool completely. Start it cold and put your hand on the upper radiator hose and see/feel what temp the thermostat is opening and you feel water flow. If the thermostat is opening at the proper temp and the coolant temp remains consistent, the sensors are not transmitting data correctly because they're not OEM or haven't been learned by the ECM.

Eliminate the possibilities one at a time before opening the checkbook/wallet/Google pay all over again.

My understanding is if you're throwing certain codes, the ECO light won't show because the engine is not running at optimum performance.
Before you buy a bunch of OEM sensors, try resetting the ECM with the new sensors and see if it learns them and saves you some money.
Also, did you replace coolant with proper mix?

You say you have identified and cleared codes, so I'm guessing you have JScan or something similar. I would suggest you let the engine cool completely. Start it cold and put your hand on the upper radiator hose and see/feel what temp the thermostat is opening and you feel water flow. If the thermostat is opening at the proper temp and the coolant temp remains consistent, the sensors are not transmitting data correctly because they're not OEM or haven't been learned by the ECM.

Eliminate the possibilities one at a time before opening the checkbook/wallet/Google pay all over again.
Thank you. I am going to research how to reset the ECM. I would love to save some money.

It's been quite a while since I updated this post, but wanted to let you all know the final verdict.
After replacing the ECM/TIPM and the engine, and (2) more thermostats, I still had problems with overheating.
Shortly after installing the 4th thermostat, it seized up and the engine temp almost tacked out. At the time I had been replacing the thermostats, there was a back order on OEM thermostats. I was unaware when I purchased a couple of the thermostats from the dealer that I had been sold an aftermarket thermostat. When the 4th seized, I called the dealer and was surprised to find they had a few Mopar thermostats in stock. I purchased one and immediately after installing solved my overheating issues.
Bottom line from this learning and very expensive repair USE OEM parts when you can. Four aftermarket thermostats failed and only the OEM part fixed the issue. I was told the OEM thermostats were on backorder (over 50k+). Not sure about stocking issues now, I just wanted to let you all know how the repair ended. Original engine 205k miles and definitely had more life left.

It's been quite a while since I updated this post, but wanted to let you all know the final verdict.
After replacing the ECM/TIPM and the engine, and (2) more thermostats, I still had problems with overheating.
Shortly after installing the 4th thermostat, it seized up and the engine temp almost tacked out. At the time I had been replacing the thermostats, there was a back order on OEM thermostats. I was unaware when I purchased a couple of the thermostats from the dealer that I had been sold an aftermarket thermostat. When the 4th seized, I called the dealer and was surprised to find they had a few Mopar thermostats in stock. I purchased one and immediately after installing solved my overheating issues.
Bottom line from this learning and very expensive repair USE OEM parts when you can. Four aftermarket thermostats failed and only the OEM part fixed the issue. I was told the OEM thermostats were on backorder (over 50k+). Not sure about stocking issues now, I just wanted to let you all know how the repair ended. Original engine 205k miles and definitely had more life left.

Thanks for the update, some of us tell Members to use OEM because to much of the Aftermarket is junk.