2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport roof issue

Milo Bloom

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I picked up a 2011 Unlimited Sport 4DR for my high-school son. I am not new to car forums but I'm very new to Wranglers and Jeeps in general, and I am looking for some guidance in my first issue.

When we got it home we found that the roof is not sealing on the passenger side. After trying to determine the difference between the drivers' side (which is fine), I found that there is a wire cable running the length of each side of the roof that apparently provides tension. The cable was not tight on the passenger side, so I followed it back on each side and found that the attachment in the below left, which is intact on the driver side, is missing on the passenger side and the cable is broken back where that spring should be.

I guess my question at this point is how screwed am I - whether just this cable and the attaching spring are replaceable parts or if more than that needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for the help.

--Brian

driver side attachment.jpg
passenger side missing attachment.jpg

Hmm.. you can dig around on extreme terrain, or one of the other aftermarket jeep places for the parts.

It's pretty hard to see what is going on in the pics. I don't remember there being any exposed springs on any soft top, but it's been a long enough winter and perhaps they are there and I'm not thinking straight. This weekend was going to be when switched tops for the summer, but I hung out with mom instead.

On the other side, it's a jeep. If you are able to get the cable and make a loop in the end to attach to, you are golden. Nothing says that the method of fixing needs to be factory original. Open the top partially and see if you can fish that thing out.

As a note so you know. The 2011 is a unique year. It has the 3.8 engine from 2007 on (they switched to the 3.6 in 2012), but it has the updated interior of the later model JKs. So some parts are going to be year specific, not a ton, but some.

The top is not one of those things. They switched to that cable system in 2010 or 2011 (not sure). So you can get a replacement off craigslist from any year up to 2017 and part of 2018. The cable system is a lot better than the older type.

Reactions: BigAL07
Thanks for the info. I don't know if I'd call these "exposed" springs, I had to open up the back windows to find them, but they're not wrapped up in any way.

I have since looked into it some more and realized a couple things -

1) there are tons of soft tops out there that may or may not be constructed the same, and

2) I have this one:

3) it appears this may be the part that's gone wrong.

Specifically, it seems to be the spring in the middle of the coiled cable below.
1652059499261.png

I knew going in that there were some small holes in the top that I was going to have to patch. Given this development, and that low price point, it seems like I might be best off just replacing the whole top. However, what I'm unsure of now is whether this cable is part of the factory hardware or if it is part of the top.

I have a 2” hole in my soft top. Mouse got hungry when in storage. I know better now about mice but wonder what is best to patch the hole. Any advice? Someone I know said black duct tape (solution for everything! Lol)

I have a 2” hole in my soft top. Mouse got hungry when in storage. I know better now about mice but wonder what is best to patch the hole. Any advice? Someone I know said black duct tape (solution for everything! Lol)
I used flex tape on when my TJ top started to rip. two pieces, one inside and one out. It held for a year before I got a new top. Probably the best easy option. Clean around the hole well before using tape.
My top was probably twenty years old, so I was just trying to help it survive a bit longer. There has to be kits out there that would be a better looking fix.

I used flex tape on when my TJ top started to rip. two pieces, one inside and one out. It held for a year before I got a new top. Probably the best easy option. Clean around the hole well before using tape.
My top was probably twenty years old, so I was just trying to help it survive a bit longer. There has to be kits out there that would be a better looking fix.
With a name like MacGuyver you must have good fix it ideas! The top was on a 2017 and I picked it up for $100. So well worth the price and patching for the 3 months or so of summer. Also lesson learned when storing to use anti mice stuff like Bounce dryer sheets etc. I appreciate the reply.

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I'd call these "exposed" springs, I had to open up the back windows to find them, but they're not wrapped up in any way.

I have since looked into it some more and realized a couple things -

1) there are tons of soft tops out there that may or may not be constructed the same, and

2) I have this one:

[/URL]

3) it appears this may be the part that's gone wrong.

[/URL]

Specifically, it seems to be the spring in the middle of the coiled cable below.
View attachment 121118

I knew going in that there were some small holes in the top that I was going to have to patch. Given this development, and that low price point, it seems like I might be best off just replacing the whole top. However, what I'm unsure of now is whether this cable is part of the factory hardware or if it is part of the top.
I'm fairly certain it is part of the frame, however a google for 'wrangler JK soft top fabric replacement' should lead you to some videos that show the process and indirectly tell you the answer. A few of them are going to be for the older type top without the cable system.