2011 rear U joints question

Honeybat

I'm sorry I'm new to all this. When I reverse it I get a metallic squealing. Everything I read suggest it's a bad u joint. When I look for u joints a lot of the things come as a package with a drive shaft. Do I want to replace the whole thing? A lot of what I've read mentions Dana this and Dana that. And honestly I have no clue what I have or what I should be looking for. Thank you for your time and information.

I'm sorry I'm new to all this. When I reverse it I get a metallic squealing. Everything I read suggest it's a bad u joint. When I look for u joints a lot of the things come as a package with a drive shaft. Do I want to replace the whole thing? A lot of what I've read mentions Dana this and Dana that. And honestly I have no clue what I have or what I should be looking for. Thank you for your time and information.
U-joints are X shaped gizmos with bearings on all four points that allow spinning components (transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, differential) to spin while being misaligned without jamming or becoming a grenade.

Checking them is relatively easy.

With an automatic, put your foot on the brake and shift from forward to reverse. A bad u-joint will make a noticeable clunk, squeak, or click. You may also notice a vibration when driving.

You can also crawl under the Jeep and move the driveshaft by hand. If it moves much, it's bad. This also tells you which one to replace.

You do not generally need to replace the entire driveshaft.

Dana is a company. They make axles and driveline components. Spicer is their U-joint branch.

What year is your JK? Rear U joints look like this, also this isn't the correct one for you.

[/URL][/URL]
It's an 11.
U-joints are X shaped gizmos with bearings on all four points that allow spinning components (transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, differential) to spin while being misaligned without jamming or becoming a grenade.

Checking them is relatively easy.

With an automatic, put your foot on the brake and shift from forward to reverse. A bad u-joint will make a noticeable clunk, squeak, or click. You may also notice a vibration when driving.

You can also crawl under the Jeep and move the driveshaft by hand. If it moves much, it's bad. This also tells you which one to replace.

You do not generally need to replace the entire driveshaft.

Dana is a company. They make axles and driveline components. Spicer is their U-joint branch.
Thank you so much.

It's an 11.

Thank you so much.

You should be able to go to a Auto parts store and tell them you need 1 or 2 rear U Joints, there is one at each end of the driveshaft.

If you block the rear wheels and then put trans in neutral go under the Jeep and rotate the driveshaft back and forth . There shouldn't be any movement at the U Joints or make any noise.

Reactions: BigAL07