2010 Wrangler Unlimited Tires and Lift Advice

Jackpot

I am new to the group, just purchased a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JK. It is currently completely bone stock and only has 61k original miles. I am looking to add some flare to it. Usage: Mainly general use and up and down some gravel roads. Will not be used to rock climb or anything super extreme. I would like to give it a little lift = Maybe 2-3 inches and maybe slightly upsize the tires and give it a slightly wider stance. I would also like to avoid a significant loss of power or needing to change gears. What would be recommended, two or three inch lift ? What size tire / wheel combination should I try to stay with. I was going to try to stay with a 17 or 18 inch wheel. I would like to not completely fill the wheel opening with tire and wheel. I would like for there to be some clearance there. Thanks in advance.

First, enter your VIN to get a copy of the build sheet for your particular JK: https://www.nathanson.org/davesays/2019/buildsheet-for-jeeps-vin/

Second, tell us if you have a manual or auto tranny and its gear ratio. We can help you a lot more with that info, otherwise, we're asking all the questions we need answered before we can help.

First, enter your VIN to get a copy of the build sheet for your particular JK: https://www.nathanson.org/davesays/2019/buildsheet-for-jeeps-vin/

Second, tell us if you have a manual or auto tranny and its gear ratio. We can help you a lot more with that info, otherwise, we're asking all the questions we need answered before we can.

Thank you very much. The Gears are 373 and I have a 4 speed automatic transmission and standard duty suspension. It has a Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 44 rear axle.

Now we're getting somewhere. The good news is you have a decent rear end with the 3.73. I have the same set up on my 2014 Sahara and I have a 2.5" lift with 35x12.5x18 wheels & tires. My JK sits on a little rake due to the 80lb front bumper and the true lift sits right at 2". This is a pretty good look at the profile before I installed the heavier front bumper.

Jeep 1.jpg

Some people may suggest a gear upgrade to a 4.10 or a 4.56. That's okay and I can't speak to that because I'm okay with the 3.73. That may change in the near future if I start towing a trailer, but right now, with a Pedal Commander installed, I do some mild trails and can still run comfortably at 80 on the interstate.

The other thing to keep in mind is the geometry changes in your suspension when you go more than 2.5". You'll need adjustable control arms, drag link, etc., whereas with a 2 - 2.5" you don't necessarily need to replace/upgrade everything. I've upgraded when I needed to replace the shocks and replace the drag link, but everything else remains fairly stock.

Now we're getting somewhere. The good news is you have a decent rear end with the 3.73. I have the same set up on my 2014 Sahara and I have a 2.5" lift with 35x12.5x18 wheels & tires. My JK sits on a little rake due to the 80lb front bumper and the true lift sits right at 2". This is a pretty good look at the profile before I installed the heavier front bumper.

View attachment 121552

Some people may suggest a gear upgrade to a 4.10 or a 4.56. That's okay and I can't speak to that because I'm okay with the 3.73. That may change in the near future if I start towing a trailer, but right now, with a Pedal Commander installed, I do some mild trails and can still run comfortably at 80 on the interstate.

The other thing to keep in mind is the geometry changes in your suspension when you go more than 2.5". You'll need adjustable control arms, drag link, etc., whereas with a 2 - 2.5" you don't necessarily need to replace/upgrade everything. I've upgraded when I needed to replace the shocks and replace the drag link, but everything else remains fairly stock.
Thanks for the information. I will plan on sticking with a 2 or 2.5 inch lift. On my tires and wheels, I have located some OE wheels that are 18x8 and I can buy all 5 of them for $200 . What size tires would I need to get to achieve that 33 in overall height? Do I need a wider wheel than 8 inches?

Thanks for the information. I will plan on sticking with a 2 or 2.5 inch lift. On my tires and wheels, I have located some OE wheels that are 18x8 and I can buy all 5 of them for $200 . What size tires would I need to get to achieve that 33 in overall height? Do I need a wider wheel than 8 inches?

What do you mean by 33" overall height? Tire height?

I have heard mention of 33 in tires and 35 in and I thought I would stay with something 33 in tall vs going w/the 35 in. That way I might have a little more clearance, and more power.

What size tires you have now? Also when you change tire size you have to recailbrate your speedometer.

Reactions: mrjp
Depending on your exact needs a 2.5” is a nice lift spot and can accommodate 35” tires. In some cases the fenders may need to be modified depending on the specifics of the lift for a 35” tire. I have the AEV 2.5” lift on two JKU and vey happy with it. one has 33” tires and looks good.