2010 JKU P1745 - Just replaced the engine

MelissaC13

We bought a 2010 JKU knowing it needed an engine. We brought it home last weekend.
I drove it home not knowing I was driving in limp mode. The first and second gear shift super smooth and I didn’t go over 45mph. A couple of days later I was driving about 55mph and smelt what smelled like a belt burning. I called my husband and he said to carefully drive it home.
He drove it and pulled the new P1745 code. He explained it is in limp mode and needs looked at by a mechanic.
We literally just spent $5k on the engine and other parts. We paid $6k for the JKU. (It looks amazing!) I’m worried we are in over our heads and will need a new transmission.. Has anyone successfully fixed this issue? I’m seeing so many threads and remedies but no actual fixes. A new transmission isn’t really in the budget. Would it even be worth it at this point?
For info. It drives in 1st and 2nd gear. I can get it up to about 58mph (when I didn’t know what was wrong), and it is throwing the P1745 code.
Thanks in advance!

10815AA2-1A48-4C25-B4F4-DD8CE1DAA0FD.jpeg

You bought it, knowing the engine was shot, but didn't assume other parts (all of which have the same exact same driving history) would be similarly worn? This is why a mechanics inspection is a good idea before buying a used vehicle.

The P1745 code usually just means you need to repair some lines or a solenoid. But if it's been doing this for a long time and someone has just been resetting the check engine light, there could be damage to the transmission. Exactly what, and how much, cannot be determined here; you'll need a transmission shop.
There's a good chance what you smelled was the bands burning. If that's the case, you're looking at a rebuild.