2010 JK Sector Shaft

ArttyG

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a replacement sector shaft for a 2010 JK Steering Gear?

I snapped one this weekend and would like to compare the cost of repairing it vs. replacing it.

I have looked online and even called the local Mopar distributor to no avail.

Thanks, Art

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a replacement sector shaft for a 2010 JK Steering Gear?

I snapped one this weekend and would like to compare the cost of repairing it vs. replacing it.

I have looked online and even called the local Mopar distributor to no avail.

Thanks, Art

Red Head Steering Gears offers rebuilding, you might give them a call.

Even if it's possible though, would probably cost as much as a new one.

This is why I installed a PSC Big Bore kit. Yeah, bunch of money up front, but I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Thanks, Vman. I'll check it out. I'm leaning heavily toward a big bore from PSC, but just curious.

I can't say enough good things about the kit I bought. It comes with everything you need and is a straightforward install.

Only hard part is wrestling that 70lb gear box into place with one hand, trying to keep it against the rail, and reach around with your other hand to get a bolt started.

If you decide to get the kit let me know and I'll post pics of mine to help out. Only thing not really covered in the instructions is where to mount the cooler, but it fits great on the cross brace behind the front grille.

I didn't get the hydro assist but turning my 35's is effortless now, there's no play in the steering, and it tracks like an arrow on the street. If everything else in your steering and caster is ok right now, I don't know of a better option than that kit. It's amazing.

I was thinking of just getting the box, and not going all the way with a new pump, etc. I'm only running 32's, which are the stock size for my jeep. The steering is fine, and was already effortless. In fact, I was impressed with how easy it was to steer before this happened.

Do you have an additional sector shaft support on yours?

Thankfully, I will have some help when it comes time to install the box. I was given a loaner JKU box that a fellow Jeeper had in his garage. My driving buddy and I installed it on the trail so I could drive out. I saw how difficult it would have been to install it without help, and was already thinking the PSC would be a beast to install as it is 15lbs. heavier than stock.

How long have you been running your PSC setup?

I'll let you know when/if I buy it.

Reactions: Vman
I was thinking of just getting the box, and not going all the way with a new pump, etc. I'm only running 32's, which are the stock size for my jeep. The steering is fine, and was already effortless. In fact, I was impressed with how easy it was to steer before this happened.

Do you have an additional sector shaft support on yours?

Thankfully, I will have some help when it comes time to install the box. I was given a loaner JKU box that a fellow Jeeper had in his garage. My driving buddy and I installed it on the trail so I could drive out. I saw how difficult it would have been to install it without help, and was already thinking the PSC would be a beast to install as it is 15lbs. heavier than stock.

How long have you been running your PSC setup?

I'll let you know when/if I buy it.

Typically most people end up snapping a sector shaft due to the additional stress from much larger tires + hard steering in the rocks.

I guess for you on stock size tires it depends on why yours broke...if it was just badly manufactured shaft or if you're just working it that hard. If you're staying with stock tires the big bore might be overkill...but if you plan on larger tires in the future or you're working your steering hard now it would be a great upgrade.

They sell both big bore and regular sized boxes, and you have the option of hydraulic assist on them as well. I didn't go that route as I'm only running 35's and doing moderate trails.

Have been running mine for a little over a year I think.

Here's a pic I just pulled off an internet search showing how much thicker the sector shaft is in the big bore. I don't have a comparison shot from my install unfortunately.

screen-shot-2017-03-16-at-4.28.40-pm.png

Yeah, I've been going back and forth in my mind on upgrades.

I keep coming back to this thought: Why not see what it can do like it is, then make upgrades as needed instead of just doing all of the stuff I would like to do. I am more into function than form, so, while I think a Jeep on a 6" lift with long arm suspension on 40"s would look awesome, I know I will probably never need that.

This is really the first failure I've had, so I guess I thought: Well, I found the first weakness that might deserve an upgrade.

I think the failure may have been at least partially the driver. While I don't blame him, I was letting my 14 year old son drive when the shaft broke. I can't say for sure it wouldn't have happened regardless of the driver, but I did drive on the exact same trail earlier in the day without trouble. It was definitely a flexy spot in the trail that put some stress on the steering. It could be I picked a better line earlier in the day, or it could be the sector shaft just said, "Look, I'm not doing this twice!"

So, all that to say, it may be overkill, but the failure may be proof of a weakness I should go ahead and address.

The folks at Red Head said they would sell me a sector shaft and seal kit for less than $300. Still weighing my options.

Thanks

Reactions: Vman
Yeah, I've been going back and forth in my mind on upgrades.

I keep coming back to this thought: Why not see what it can do like it is, then make upgrades as needed instead of just doing all of the stuff I would like to do. I am more into function than form, so, while I think a Jeep on a 6" lift with long arm suspension on 40"s would look awesome, I know I will probably never need that.

This is really the first failure I've had, so I guess I thought: Well, I found the first weakness that might deserve an upgrade.

I think the failure may have been at least partially the driver. While I don't blame him, I was letting my 14 year old son drive when the shaft broke. I can't say for sure it wouldn't have happened regardless of the driver, but I did drive on the exact same trail earlier in the day without trouble. It was definitely a flexy spot in the trail that put some stress on the steering. It could be I picked a better line earlier in the day, or it could be the sector shaft just said, "Look, I'm not doing this twice!"

So, all that to say, it may be overkill, but the failure may be proof of a weakness I should go ahead and address.

The folks at Red Head said they would sell me a sector shaft and seal kit for less than $300. Still weighing my options.

Thanks

I agree, I'm much the same way. I'll spend money on things like gaskets and water pumps and other boring mechanical stuff over visual/aesthetic/stereo stuff all day.

There are some things I want to know I can depend on though, that, if they fail, leave me dead in the water. Axles, driveshafts, steering...etc. When I was doing my steering upgrades I think I spent over $200 on a lower steering arm that bolts onto the steering box. Mine was all seized up. Since not being able to steer will kill you, I didn't even blink at the $200.

Another option for you might be a "redneck ram" hydro assist. That would take the pressure off the sector shaft and put it on the ram. If that breaks it's easy to access, you won't have to upgrade the gear box, and I think they're pretty easy to fix. Reasonably cheap too.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and good on you for letting you son get some JK seat time.