2009 JK gear shift knob removal

wateretaw

Hi all.
I'm trying to remove the gear shift knob so I can replace the gear shift boot which is all fallen apart. I have the part but damn if I can't get the gear shift knob removed. I've watched a few YouTube's and I'm using a strap wrench, but it looks and feels like I'm actually starting to turn the gear shift stick (bar) itself - NOT the knob. I can't replace the boot without taking the knob off but the last thing I want to do is strip the actual gear shift stick. It would turn a $40 fix into a $200+ problem. Any suggestions? Thank you. (btw I have to put the knob back on after I finish. I'm not replacing that also)

Last edited:
it doesn't turn off, there are no threads, it comes straight off the shaft. Look up a vid specifically for a wrangler. You should not spin the knob at all... because it won't.

Though it apparently can be hard, mine wasn't too bad a couple years ago.

Reactions: wateretaw and mrjp
It doesn't turn to come off. I had to stand up over the center console, pull up as hard as I could while wiggling left and right. It was a b!tch to get off but it came after a few tries.

Reactions: wateretaw and mrjp
Saw this:
1652104313140.png

Wrap the bottom of the knob with a rag, then put an adjustable wrench or a vise-grip over the rag at the bottom of the knob close to the shaft. Use a mallet or hammer and hit upwards on the wrench or vise-grip.
If you're concerned about damaging the bottom of the knob, the collar around the bottom of the knob will come off with a screwdriver.

Reactions: mrjp
Hi all.
I'm trying to remove the gear shift knob so I can replace the gear shift boot which is all fallen apart. I have the part but damn if I can't get the gear shift knob removed. I've watched a few YouTube's and I'm using a strap wrench, but it looks and feels like I'm actually starting to turn the gear shift stick (bar) itself - NOT the knob. I can't replace the boot without taking the knob off but the last thing I want to do is strip the actual gear shift stick. It would turn a $40 fix into a $200+ problem. Any suggestions? Thank you. (btw I have to put the knob back on after I finish. I'm not replacing that also)
Yeah, I've tried all the tricks. None of them worked on my 07. I replaced my inner shift boot, shaft and knob. Factory knobs are about $25 at the dealership (if they try to charge you more, tell them to eat a Richard).

This may be what you may result to, but just buy a new shift knob first... IT IS WORTH IT and not worth the hassles I went thru.

Reactions: mrjp