2009 JK drives erratic after putting on new tires

sanman09JK

Hey folks,I need some help, 2009 JK 2dr, after putting some new tires on the jeep 285/70/17 Nittos, I notice it drove a little more erratic, as she was parked in the driveway i look at her from the front end I noticed that my tires looked like they were pointing outward. I was like ahhh just in my head must be the driveway making it look like that.. well I was doing something else to it and crawled under the front and used the tie rod to pull myself under the jeep and it moved!! so under further inspection, I can move the tie rod up and down with my hand about 2-3 inches... and also the drag bar does the same thing!! I believe it the drag bar im not too good with this stuff, If I remember the little shock is connected to it? now my jeep only has 56K miles on it, its not a off road jeep just basic weekend cruising . wanted to know if anybody else has had this problem, is it the norm on jeeps? i don't think it is. my next question is.. can I replace just the ends? IDK what their called kinda seem like (ball joints... anywho any help would be appreciated, I do my oil changes,brakes etc, but this job is over my paygrade and dont have the proper tools for the job anyway. thanks

No it's not normal for any vehicles to have that much play, and after replacing it you'll have to have the alignment done.

Reactions: sanman09JK
The drag link is the angled one from steering gear to the passenger steering knuckle. The tie rod connects the left tire to the right tire. They both should twist but not move left and right or up and down.

Hey,
Know the feeling about putting on new tires. I recently installed Toyo ATX III in 35" size on my 2018 Wrangler.

It is important to align the rig with the new tires and do it at a show that specializes in big off-road tires for Jeeps and other vehicles.

Some regular shops are not all too familiar with big tires so it is best to seek out the look Jeep or Off-Road shops.

Does that mean it drove erratic before? Regardless, if you've put on new tires and you've changed the tire size, you should definitely have the alignment checked.
No drove fine before, still have my old tires their worn but show no signs of bad tread wear, its puzzling me, I guess I'll take it to somebody and hopefully I can replace those parts, and I will have an alignment done

The drag link is the angled one from steering gear to the passenger steering knuckle. The tie rod connects the left tire to the right tire. They both should twist but not move left and right or up and down.
Thanks those are the parts that move, I don't get it that with 56K miles these would be worn out? but oh well I guess they do, also have all the lights on the dash! on traction control,abs etc guess its a wheel speed sensor from what i gather on the internet.....GEEZ!

Thanks everyone , I will definitely do a alignment once i get all those things replaced, don't have a lotta expendable cash right now due to this wonderful virus .....see ya out there