2008 Wrangler 3.8 Coolant Temp Issue

jws123

2008 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 158k manual I picked this jeep up as a project with a blown motor jeep was for sure used and abused. I got it running good now but having a issue start jeep up runs few mins temp guage falls to 0 and ETC light comes on getting temp correlation code. So I changed tstat and temp sensor still having the same issue does not overheat blows good heat everything is flowing. The bizzar thing is if i shut it off and turn key to on it shows correct temp..as soon as i start it temp to 0 volt light on..Vid Posted below not sure where to go with this..

Last edited:
Another thing to note the previous owner had a alcolol interlock device removed 2 days before I bought it possibly related to my issue?

I would get wiring info on the interlock and check if it was removed correctly or part of it remains.

Reactions: BigAL07
I would get wiring info on the interlock and check if it was removed correctly or part of it remains.
I tried to look into them not a ton of info the old owner is gone so cant really ask them who or how it was removed. I am going to tear into the dash tomorrow will post with what i find. Also 1 wire going to coolant temp is a bit suspect near connector its just odd it reads with engine off and my scanner says so aswell but ordered a new pigtail to rule it out.

Reactions: mrjp
thats weird it reads in celsius at first then Fahrenheit the second time you turn it on. I know its christmas, but tell your jeep to tone down those lights. Jk

Reactions: jws123
To get rid of the change oil alarm, turn on the ignition without starting the vehicle and then fully depress the gas pedal three times.
At least 3 times. I don't know why, but in my head it takes 5 and that's what I do. I always laugh at myself for doing it, but I still do it without thinking.

Didnt see anything crazy under dash/steering colum cleaned up few wires also turns out i had a spare throttle body swapped it just to see no diff waiting on new pigtail for coolant sensor hope it fixes it wires/plug dont look that good.

Well new pigtail installed wires where def a little messed up didnt fix a thing same issue so im at a bit of a loss here.

Are the tires actually low on air? If so get that light off. For some reason low air light can cause a bunch of lights to come on. The computer just get's confused. It's worse on the 3.6, but can happen on the 3.8 as well.

The previous owner may have changed the PSI number in the computer so it putting all wheels, to include the spare, to 32 PSI doesn't get rid of the light, drop by two until it shuts off.

It's time for eliminate one light at a time operation.

Are the tires actually low on air? If so get that light off. For some reason low air light can cause a bunch of lights to come on. The computer just get's confused. It's worse on the 3.6, but can happen on the 3.8 as well.

The previous owner may have changed the PSI number in the computer so it putting all wheels, to include the spare, to 32 PSI doesn't get rid of the light, drop by two until it shuts off.

It's time for eliminate one light at a time operation.
ya think the tire sensors could really cause this issue? it has 33s on it no sensors. Alltho I do have the stock tires will see if sensors are still good but just like my ram and other jeeps I usually just ignore the light with no other issues. I am already missing my 03 TJ sold it for this because it needed a frame swap welded it way to many times ahaha I do like how these newer jeeps have heavier frames tho.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
I don't think all your problems are from sensor bleed-over, but some may be. My primary suggestion is to start with things you can eliminate. With no sensors in the tires, the easiest way would be to get the Jscan app, unless that scanner you have lets you modify the computer parameters, and turn off the sensor.

Jscan is an app that most of us here use. The app is free, there is a $20-$30 bluetooth dongle (get the one the app suggests) and then a one time per VIN license fee. It allows you to modify a ton of stuff.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
I don't think all your problems are from sensor bleed-over, but some may be. My primary suggestion is to start with things you can eliminate. With no sensors in the tires, the easiest way would be to get the Jscan app, unless that scanner you have lets you modify the computer parameters, and turn off the sensor.

Jscan is an app that most of us here use. The app is free, there is a $20-$30 bluetooth dongle (get the one the app suggests) and then a one time per VIN license fee. It allows you to modify a ton of stuff.
makes sense and yea my scanner can do that will check it out. Another thing to note when i got it the ABS light was on had to change 1 wheel speed sensor that all went away no codes for that anymore possibly related?

I think i narrowed it down the the ignition switch going to swap it out when i turn it i noticed it has alot of play in it ect one time it wouldnt start other day I jiggled it and it started.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Problem solved skanked connector near the brake booster caused all these issues I am convinced this jeep has been uder water few times lmaoo cleaned it up all lights went out on dash good to go so far knock wood.

PXL_20230109_205836133.jpg