2008 JKU loose Planetary Gear?

GPappy

I have a 2008 JKU that I purchased with the front drive shaft removed. I checked the u-Joints and they were so loose I was surprised that they were still on the Jeep. I assumed that this was the reason the driveshaft had been removed but it went beyond that.

I found that the front drivers side axle shaft was broken when I started to take it apart. The passenger side was fine. I ordered a new axle and when it arrived I put new U-Joints in and tried to reassemble the axle. The drivers axle shaft broken shaft came out fairly easily but the new one would not slide in. I dropped the carrier out and found that the broken shaft had beat up the end of the carrier which made it difficult to install. 5 minutes with a file and all was fine. It was then that I noticed that the planetary gear on the passenger side was loose. This is the side that did not have a broken axle shaft but it not only moved around in the carrier but was not snug against the spider gears. The gears themselves look fine but the loose gear does not look right to me. Unfortunately I have never had a carrier out to look at let alone rebuild so I don't know what might be wrong or even how big an issue it is.

Are the planetary gears supposed to be tight against the spider gears on both sides? Is this a shimming issue or do I need a new set of gears? A new carrier?

Thanks in advance for any help.

oh, I am also going to need a new driveshaft. I can pick up a used factory one locally for $100 but was wondering if there was a cost effective aftermarket driveshaft I should consider. I may go with a 3 inch lift someday so if an aftermarket one would work stock and for a 3 inch lift I would consider spending the money now.

The Planetary gears or Spider gears can be replaced in most Dana axles, usually have to but them by the set. I think if it was mine I wouldn't take a chance on the carrier and buy a new one, get a E locker or something similar.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
For the driveshaft depending on when you plan on installing the lift I’d wait to get a new one till the lift is installed.

1. Depending on what lift and height the driveshaft may be required to be replaced to have enough length or clear the other parts of the jeep depending on how much flex the front will have.
2. You can get a driveshaft to the correct length for the lift you get.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07