2008 JK Starting Problems

Paddy Wagon

I have a 2008 Manual Transmission JK with a Starting problem?
It comes and goes. I have full power and battery is good. I Have replaced the Clutch Position Switch (Neutral Safety Switch) on the side of the Clutch Master Cylinder and the problem went away for about a week. The dash has full power and you turn the Key there is no click no nothing. Then replaced all of the relays that involve Starting and Running. Problem went away and two days latter it was back. Then replaced electronic ignition switch on the opposite side of the column from the key. same problem full power no power reaching the starter. I then unplugged the Clutch position switch and removed it. Then reinstalled the switch. Removed and re-installed all the relays again. Try the key and have full power and still no starting. Try the key again it then started. Let it run for a few and then turned it off and on again 5 times in a row and it started. Took it for a test drive. Drove fine and no problems. Turn it off and try to start again it starts. After about a minute I turned it off and tried again back to no starting. I Have the the relays clicking when the key is turned every time. Any thoughts or anyone have the same problem? HELP I am STUCK without anymore Ideas....

Reactions: vaffanculo
Is the little red dot on in the upper right of the dash cluster when your trying to start it? If so it usually means your battery is bad in your Key FOB.

Is the little red dot on in the upper right of the dash cluster when your trying to start it? If so it usually means your battery is bad in your Key FOB.
Make sure you battery clamps are fully seated. I had this problem when the positive was ~1/16" high. If your dash lights always stay illuminated you may have something different going on, however. Mine would go out as soon as I turned the key from acc to start.

Replacing the junk Factory battery clamps is also a good idea, put some HD ones on.

Check the key start wire on the starter to see if it clean and tight, someone else had that issue once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paddy Wagon
I have a 2008 Manual Transmission JK with a Starting problem?
It comes and goes. I have full power and battery is good. I Have replaced the Clutch Position Switch (Neutral Safety Switch) on the side of the Clutch Master Cylinder and the problem went away for about a week. The dash has full power and you turn the Key there is no click no nothing. Then replaced all of the relays that involve Starting and Running. Problem went away and two days latter it was back. Then replaced electronic ignition switch on the opposite side of the column from the key. same problem full power no power reaching the starter. I then unplugged the Clutch position switch and removed it. Then reinstalled the switch. Removed and re-installed all the relays again. Try the key and have full power and still no starting. Try the key again it then started. Let it run for a few and then turned it off and on again 5 times in a row and it started. Took it for a test drive. Drove fine and no problems. Turn it off and try to start again it starts. After about a minute I turned it off and tried again back to no starting. I Have the the relays clicking when the key is turned every time. Any thoughts or anyone have the same problem? HELP I am STUCK without anymore Ideas....
Good morning paddy so I also have a 08 j/k and experienced this problem vaffanculo is an automatic. It's like everything works but when you go too start it no clicks or anything. Problem was the ground strap I still haven't gotten around to cleaning the straps one is located along the firewall just to the right of the battery looks like a braided strap and the other is on the right side of the engine connected too the block. So a quick fix is connecting a heavy guage wire from the ground of the battery too the bolt that holds the alternator bracket this will give you a good constant ground make sure you clean your battery terminals .im sure you probably did this already but just checking...good luck man with this issue ..

Good morning paddy so I also have a 08 j/k and experienced this problem vaffanculo is an automatic. It's like everything works but when you go too start it no clicks or anything. Problem was the ground strap I still haven't gotten around to cleaning the straps one is located along the firewall just to the right of the battery looks like a braided strap and the other is on the right side of the engine connected too the block. So a quick fix is connecting a heavy guage wire from the ground of the battery too the bolt that holds the alternator bracket this will give you a good constant ground make sure you clean your battery terminals .im sure you probably did this already but just checking...good luck man with this issue ..
Thanks! I haven't tried the extra ground yet but I will now!

OK I tried the extra ground. The jeep started five time in a row, took it for a test drive, came back and started again five times in a row. Waited two hours again all power no click at the starter. Anybody have any other ideas.

Reactions: vaffanculo
OK I tried the extra ground. The jeep started five time in a row, took it for a test drive, came back and started again five times in a row. Waited two hours again all power no click at the starter. Anybody have any other ideas.

When you say "all power no click" are you checking the small terminal at the starter when this happens? Is the connector tight and clean?

I would check the wires that connect to the starter first disconnect the battery then undo the wires that connect to the starter and shine them up . obviously it's something minor but stuff like this drives you crazy .also clean the terminals and all connections at the battery..good luck

I have a 08 JKU Automatic that won't start at times unless I rattle the shifter, as if it's not recognizing being in park. Have you tried starting in neutral? I haven't looked into fixing mine, it keeps those that don't know from starting my Jeep!

My next days off I will be removing and testing the starter. Also I will double check all the wires at the starter for any breaks or corrosion.
I thank all for the advise and help. I will update when completed.