2008 Jeep Wrangler and P0171 Code

Gatorbrown

I should tell all a little about my Jeep. Rory is a 2008 Jeep JK, 2 door manual transmission equipped with a nice Sprintex super charger. I keep getting a P0171 code and it smells a little like exhaust in the cab. I cleaned my mass air flow, cleaned air filter, and replaced upstream bank 1 O2 sensor. Also checked all hoses and connectors and saw no obvious vacuum leaks. Still getting the P0171 error and noticed that catalytic converter seems to be making noise near the O2 sensor I replaced. Makes me think there are issues with that cat but of course I would rather not replace right away.
Has anyone tried cataclean with their JK? I figured it was worth a try because Rory is really running pretty strong except for P0171 code. Thanks all for any pointers offered.

Id watch the live data and see what the first 02 sensor was showing compared to the first one on the other bank. I would swap the two if i could (if they aren't stuck). If the issue moves to the other bank then the sensor is faulty. That would be my first move. Costs nothing. Of no change, then I'd move on to the fuel system, check pressure on the trail that not functioning. See what fuel trims were doing. Check injectors too.

Thanks all. I will hope it is nothing to do with the catalytic converter. One possible easy cause of P0171 code is a bad fuel filter although I would have thought Rory would really be running bad, losing power, etc. if it was related to the fuel filter. All that is happening is throwing off P0171 code, running loud and slight exhaust smell in the cab. Another item I will physically check is for an exhaust leak between engine and first upstream O2 sensor/passenger side cat converter but I am not sure what is in that space that could be failing.
Concern may be if it is an injector issue or something haywire with my Sprintex super charger - may be way too deep for me to dive into that one......

If you're using JScan, is your live data telling you anything?
Another P0171 possibility is a vacuum leak on that bank, which may account for the exhaust fumes you're getting- an exhaust leak in the manifold.

Thanks all. I will hope it is nothing to do with the catalytic converter. One possible easy cause of P0171 code is a bad fuel filter although I would have thought Rory would really be running bad, losing power, etc. if it was related to the fuel filter. All that is happening is throwing off P0171 code, running loud and slight exhaust smell in the cab. Another item I will physically check is for an exhaust leak between engine and first upstream O2 sensor/passenger side cat converter but I am not sure what is in that space that could be failing.
Concern may be if it is an injector issue or something haywire with my Sprintex super charger - may be way too deep for me to dive into that one......

A fuel filter won't cause one bank to run lean unless there is one filter per bank on your setup. Could perhaps be an exhaust leak on that side. Or vacuum leak causing too much air on that side. Take a propane torch around the engine and listen for changes

Took it in to my mechanic. Lucky I have a good, honest one. It appears to be an exhaust leak on passenger/bank 1 side. They are going to smoke test it on Friday to see the exact location of exhaust leak and go ahead and repair. Thanks for the advice and my son and I learned some tips for sure. He and I now have our own home garage and we work on simple repairs. For awhile, it was like dumb and dumber whenever we tried to fix anything but we are getting better. Did complete brake job on his Camaro a few weeks ago and replaced electric window regulator and motor in my old Suburban with no screw ups either. There will be more repairs coming with Rory so hopefully I am more up to the task next time........

Reactions: mrjp