2008 ECU to body wiring?

GPappy

I am investigating installing an LS in my 2008. With 158K miles the engine is getting a little tired and I want to add 35" tires.

One of the biggest challenges seems to be integration with the body controls from the ECM when it is replaced by the Chevy ECM. Has anyone seen any discussions regarding how the systems communicate or are wired? I did a google search but had not found anything. It appears that at least a third of the cost to do a conversion appears to be in integrating the Chevy ECM with the Jeep electronics and I would like to take a stab at it myself.

I am investigating installing an LS in my 2008. With 158K miles the engine is getting a little tired and I want to add 35" tires.

One of the biggest challenges seems to be integration with the body controls from the ECM when it is replaced by the Chevy ECM. Has anyone seen any discussions regarding how the systems communicate or are wired? I did a google search but had not found anything. It appears that at least a third of the cost to do a conversion appears to be in integrating the Chevy ECM with the Jeep electronics and I would like to take a stab at it myself.

I've decided i'm doing the same thing if my engine gives out, but no way am I wanting to keep the jeeps other electronics such as the TIPM. That can be as much of a problem as the JK's engines electronics.

I'd be doing aftermarket gauges, GPs speedometer and surely a way to take the TIPM apart and make the other functions still work. You have a input and a output for every function that it controls, just a simple fuse or relay that is user friendly like the older vehicles have that were dependable. A FSM would be handy for decoding the wiring.

Reactions: mrjp
I've decided i'm doing the same thing if my engine gives out, but no way am I wanting to keep the jeeps other electronics such as the TIPM. That can be as much of a problem as the JK's engines electronics.

I'd be doing aftermarket gauges, GPs speedometer and surely a way to take the TIPM apart and make the other functions still work. You have a input and a output for every function that it controls, just a simple fuse or relay that is user friendly like the older vehicles have that were dependable. A FSM would be handy for decoding the wiring.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I guess I would like to stick with the original gauges and ac controls. Just looking to see how much is handled by OBDII vs Hardwiring. Other vehicle swaps I have investigated have done different things. Some put an interface between the donor ECM and the body electronics to convert the OBDII Messages from donor ECM and vehicle electronics. Others keep the original ECM/PCM from the vehicle and just have dual sensors for functions needed to run AC/Cluster. Just looking to see if any public domain information is available.

I have a 5.3 with a stand alone PCM that just needs power and ground from the vehicle to run so that is the easy part.