2007 Rubicon 3.8 auto with intermittent no-start issue

BigAL07

JK Enthusiast
Have had the common no start issue for quite a while now. You know the one. Turn the key and get the keep sneeze. Little pressure on the shifter then fires rite up. Added a ground wire from battery to the alternator bracket and seems to cure the issue. The only time I get it now is after a good rain. Little pressure on the shifter then she will either fire rite up or start and die. After that she cranks rite up and runs great. Wandering if anyone may know where I should look to track this down. Thanx in advance for any input

Sounds like maybe the shift cable bushings are bad. Or all the grounds need to be cleaned.

Reactions: mrjp
Have had the common no start issue for quite a while now. You know the one. Turn the key and get the keep sneeze. Little pressure on the shifter then fires rite up. Added a ground wire from battery to the alternator bracket and seems to cure the issue. The only time I get it now is after a good rain. Little pressure on the shifter then she will either fire rite up or start and die. After that she cranks rite up and runs great. Wandering if anyone may know where I should look to track this down. Thanx in advance for any input

I had this problem.

If it comes back even after doing the grounds and adjusting the cables, your range sensor/NSS in your (auto) transmission might be going out.

It's a bit of a pain, as you have to drop the valve body to replace it.

Fingers crossed that it doesn’t. Thanx for the reply brother. Hello from W.Va.

Yeah I reluctantly replaced mine after trying everything else. Lot of work for a $40 part.

Got tired of sighing every time I went to start it and it went *cough die*.

Small world by the way. I went to Iaeger HS before I left to join the military. I miss spending the entire weekend on those 'ole mountain roads on my Yamaha dirt bike. Grandfather used to work the mines in Bishop.

Awesome. I drive a truck hauling mine equipment. Down through Panther and into Hurley Virginia weekly. Live just outside of Beckley. Good to talk with ya my friend. Keep Jeepin Thanx for your service!

Reactions: Vman