2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ignition issue

Mahltl3

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have a reoccurring issue that no matter what I do.. nothing seems to work. It is a starting issue. It happens randomly with no rhyme or reason... Sometimes it may not happen for weeks at a time... Sometimes to happens every day. Weather doesn't matter... It just happens.. So when I put in the key in and attempt to start the car it will click... sometimes one or two times before it starts.. sometimes it takes 5 or 10 minutes... I have taken it to several authorized keep mechanics in The Atlanta area and every time we try something else. I have replaced the starter, the ignition switch, the PCU, the battery, the battery cables, the transmission censor and probably several other things. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Have you tried using a remote starter switch and coming off the battery to check to see if it's a wiring issue?

I’m having a similar issue. I have a 2008. I replaced the battery, starter, ignition switch. I saw a video on YouTube. The guy pushed the shifter forward and boom starts every time. I brought it to a mechanic and they couldn’t figure it out. Told them about the shifter and they said computer was showing it in park so that wasn’t the issue. But every time it does it I push the shifter forward and starts right up. I think it’s definitely the shifter and Possibly the automatic shifter cable or needs to be tightened. Did you fix this issue ?

I’m having a similar issue. They I replaced the battery, starter, ignition switch. I saw a video on YouTube. The guy pushed the shifter forward and boom starts every time. I brought it to a mechanic and they couldn’t figure it out. Told them about the shifter and they said computer was showing it in park. But every time it does it I push the shifter forward and starts right up. Possibly the automatic shifter cable or needs to be tightened. Did you fix this issue ?

Your problem could be the shifter bushings, they can go bad and cause your issue.

Reactions: BigAL07
I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have a reoccurring issue that no matter what I do.. nothing seems to work. It is a starting issue. It happens randomly with no rhyme or reason... Sometimes it may not happen for weeks at a time... Sometimes to happens every day. Weather doesn't matter... It just happens.. So when I put in the key in and attempt to start the car it will click... sometimes one or two times before it starts.. sometimes it takes 5 or 10 minutes... I have taken it to several authorized keep mechanics in The Atlanta area and every time we try something else. I have replaced the starter, the ignition switch, the PCU, the battery, the battery cables, the transmission censor and probably several other things. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Grounds can cause this issue as well, in addition to what has been mentioned.

Is it an automatic?

If it is, you could have a bad range sensor inside the transmission.

I had this exact problem. Occasionally when you put the key in and turn the engine over, it just goes *click*. Not like a starter issue where it keeps clicking, just a single click and then nothing.

Try this:

Simply push forward on the gear selector with it in park. Just give it a little nudge.

Bet it starts right up after that.

If that works, then you either have a selector cable/bushing issue....or a bad range sensor in your transmission.

Good news is the part is pretty cheap.

Bad news is you have to drop the valve body to get to it, and I wouldn't say it's a particularly easy job to do.

Grounds can cause this issue as well, in addition to what has been mentioned.

Is it an automatic?

If it is, you could have a bad range sensor inside the transmission.

I had this exact problem. Occasionally when you put the key in and turn the engine over, it just goes *click*. Not like a starter issue where it keeps clicking, just a single click and then nothing.

Try this:

Simply push forward on the gear selector with it in park. Just give it a little nudge.

Bet it starts right up after that.

If that works, then you either have a selector cable/bushing issue....or a bad range sensor in your transmission.

Good news is the part is pretty cheap.

Bad news is you have to drop the valve body to get to it, and I wouldn't say it's a particularly easy job to do.
That’s what mine does I push/hold the shifter and starts right up

That’s what mine does I push/hold the shifter and starts right up

If it wasn't for the parking paw and needing to disengage it by turning the shaft that goes through the top (which gets all rusted up and is hard to reach), it'd be a breeze.

Can't get the valve body out with it in park...no amount of swearing at it works. Tried that.

Had the same issue on 2007 rubicon. Under the advice of BLACKJKU I changed the shifter bushings on the tranny and under the console on the shifter. Also made very small adjustment to the shifter cable at the nut. It has been 3 months and it has never failed to start on the first crank since then. Got bushings at auto zone on the Dorman help rack