16 inch wheels on stock calipers?

CRosin

My wife just recently bought our first jeep its completely stock right now and I want to know if I can fit 16 in wheels over the stock calipers? Also how big of tires could I put on it without rubbing if I put a 2.5 in suspension lift?

Most people run 17s on JKs, though I believe the Sport level ones came with 16s. You will find a much better selection of wheels and tires at 17 though.

Be careful when buying wheels, because the bolt pattern changed when they released the JK. The old TJs which last year was 2006 had a 4.5 on 5 and they tend to use 15s. JKs have a 5.5 on 5 bolt pattern and many sites I looked at when i upgraded my wheels would say both would fit, even though it was not true.

So yes, many 16s will fit, but look around at tires before buying, because 17s in my experience are much much easier to get tires for. Also, bigger fatter tires may not fit if there is not enough backspace on the new wheel.

with a 2.5 lift, you could probably fit 35s, but unless it's a Rubicon anything above 33" would essentially need you to regear.

Tell us a bit about your jeep as different years, trim levels, and transmissions (manual vs auto) make a difference.

Have a 2010 Sport, the OEMs were 16in, my JK off the lot was 17in AL. They have been in my basement for 9yrs with the Wrangler SRAs. I had to buy 16in rims for a good winter tire (thinner) , to cut in the snow. You are okay with stock calibers, 16 or 17. This forum is Primo, a lot of outstanding Tech members. Way beyond my Skill Set. Now, if my wife would only stop morning Eddie Van Halen. Solutions?

Now, if my wife would only stop morning Eddie Van Halen. Solutions?

It is not yet time to end mourning.

I may have been overly wordy above.

Two things you have to worry about when putting on larger tires.
1. Do they rub? Lift kits for wheel height and wheels with enough backspacing for tire width.
2. bigger tires means it is harder for the jeep to make the tires go around. I have 33" on a 09 Rubicon which has 4.10 gear ratio, and it's manual. I could probably go up to 35"s but I would definitely notice a loss of power.

Generally speaking, you can go up to 33"s with little problem, (stock 17" are 32.2 ish) But anything above that and you should probably re-gear from what I understand. Do a search on these forums for bigger tires, or tire size, etc. Ton of threads talking about this.

I don't think they'll clear the brakes. Maybe some 16s will, but I think it will be a crapshoot.

Most people run 17s on JKs, though I believe the Sport level ones came with 16s. You will find a much better selection of wheels and tires at 17 though.

Be careful when buying wheels, because the bolt pattern changed when they released the JK. The old TJs which last year was 2006 had a 4.5 on 5 and they tend to use 15s. JKs have a 5.5 on 5 bolt pattern and many sites I looked at when i upgraded my wheels would say both would fit, even though it was not true.

So yes, many 16s will fit, but look around at tires before buying, because 17s in my experience are much much easier to get tires for. Also, bigger fatter tires may not fit if there is not enough backspace on the new wheel.

with a 2.5 lift, you could probably fit 35s, but unless it's a Rubicon anything above 33" would essentially need you to regear.

Tell us a bit about your jeep as different years, trim levels, and transmissions (manual vs auto) make a difference.
Thats for your input. My jeep is a 2009 2door "X" auto trans with the 3.8

yeah, I would stick with no bigger than 33"s if you don't plan on going all out with re-gearing.

Ensure you program in the new tire size, OBD Jscan is a popular option here. Changing the tire size in the computer also changes the shift points. A must on an automatic.

Like Chris said, some 16s will work, but stock wheels can't handle wider tires, and I am unsure if all 16s work. It's also an odd size for finding good tires.