15 JKU stalled while driving, then code P0335

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
Wife was out today and while entering the freeway, the Jeep stalled. She was able to get safely to the shoulder and it started up again w/o any visible/known cause.
I suspected the recent fill up might be to blame, but I advised her to come straight home.

Once home, the Jeep idled strangely, from a normal idle to a reduced idle (as low as 400-500RPM) and it would then die.
Could hardly keep it running and it would stall when put into gear.
This made for very slow progress of parking it in the garage.

First thing I did was run JSCAN and check for codes... NOTHING.
It stalled a few more times and then I finally got the CEL.

Code was P0335, which is attributed to the CPS (crank position sensor).
Did a quick review of the R&R, confirmed the part # and stock at my local AutoZone.

$24 and about 20 minutes later, I had the new sensor installed.
Cycled the ignition, cleared all stored codes, and drove it to the car wash.

No issues, it actually seems to run better but that might have just been the weight being lifted off my neck, it's difficult to know for sure.

Anyway, now the code remains as "permanent" in the JSCAN list (which also includes codes for the radio, TPMS, and the headlights - all currently showing as "active").

Is there a way to clear the P0335 code that isn't straight forward/intuitive?

I need to pass a smog check soon and I want to make sure this isn't going to be a pain in the ass for me to clear up/fix.

Also, any other issues that could contribute to this code that I missed?

The cheat code is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start.

Just kidding! Once you clear monitors, they need time to reset. There is a driving pattern to make them reset faster.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Permanent codes are a new thing is 2010 and newer vehicles so folks are not up to speed on them yet. With the check engine light off and a permanent code present does not mean there is anything wrong with your car. It means there WAS something wrong with your car and those codes are going to stay around a while to make sure you fixed it right. If not for a CA SMOG you can basically ignore Permanent codes they are not hurting anyone hanging around inside a ECU.

You cannot clear a permanent code with a scanner or battery disconnect.

You can pass a CA SMOG check with a permanent code in place as long as you have these items in place:
No Check Engine Light (meaning no current codes)
Monitors Complete (Except for EVAP, that can be incomplete)
And this is the important part: Driven 200 miles and have 15 Warm Up cycles since the last time the DTC's codes were cleared. (So STOP trying to clear the codes as it only resets these counts)

Now doing this 200/15 task will not clear the Permanent code but rather the CA SMOG machine has been programmed to ignore the Permanent codes if 200 / 15 is complete.

From the BAR: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/PDTC
Are there circumstances under which a PDTC will not cause a vehicle to fail a Smog Check inspection?
Yes. PDTCs will be ignored if the vehicle has completed at least 15 warm-up cycles and been driven at least 200 miles since its OBD information was last cleared.

So how to get warm up cycles fast:
Warm up cycles are simply the engine getting up to a normal operating temperature then cooling back down below a certain temp. Below is a video of a guy forcing them on a car with a fan to aid in cooling things down. This can be done in your driveway if you want. The standard for most cars is Up to 160 degrees then it wants to see a 40 degree difference. So cold start up to 160 is 1 warm up cycle. Cool Down to 120 and back up to 160 would be #2. But could vary depending on the car.

Most scanners should have the Data PID's that will show you how many warm up cycles you have done and how long you have driven. If those are better than 200/15 you are good to go for a smog. Look in your "DataStream" or "Live Data" list. Here is what my scanner lists them as:
I completed one Warm up cycle and have not driven the car at all.

INSPECTOR TROUBLES
As I mentioned people and smog inspectors do not seem to be up on this new information even though we had required training on it.
If you go for the smog and the inspector turns you away because of a permanent code tell them to kindy run your vehicle through the test. It's not thier job to save you from a fail. They are to run the vehicle as it is presented, that is what the BAR tells them.

If they wont give you a test file a complaint with the State BAR and keep trying another place. I got a guy with 4 complaints in on shops.