14-18 motor in 12-13 JK

Deaken

So I recently bought a 2012 jk and the motor let go. Found a couple of motor to replace it with. One is a 13 out of TX (I'm in GA so I'd have to be shipped) or I've found a 2014 engine here locally for roughly the same cost.

I've heard they're practically the same engine and either will work but I've also said they won't unless you swap some parts around. Can anyone confirm or deny this either way? Thanks,

Reactions: mrjp
I'm not aware of any significant changes from 12 - 14 for the engine. 12 was the first year for the engine in Jeeps. I would think the 14 would be the way to go given the fact it's local.

What have you been hearing that changed?

I'm not aware of any significant changes from 12 - 14 for the engine. 12 was the first year for the engine in Jeeps. I would think the 14 would be the way to go given the fact it's local.

What have you been hearing that changed?
I heard if I went with the 14+ motors I'd have to swap the timing chain cover, oil pan and oil pick up tube. And seems like he said something else but I can't remember off hand.

Wouldn't the 14 already have the upgraded engine from the problematic first couple of years?

If that is what you have to do, probably not a bad thing. You are already replacing an engine, might as well go with the better one.. as long as the electronics talk.

I just did a quick search and the info I found is saying 12 and 13 and then 14 and up. So there is something different.

I just did a quick search and the info I found is saying 12 and 13 and then 14 and up. So there is something different.
Yea I know there's something different in them but not sure what or if it even matters. My jeep is a 2012 but take an oil filter from a 14+ so I'm not sure if it was already swapped or if someone just swapped the oil cooler out for a newer one.

Yea I know there's something different in them but not sure what or if it even matters. My jeep is a 2012 but take an oil filter from a 14+ so I'm not sure if it was already swapped or if someone just swapped the oil cooler out for a newer one.
This may be all an effect a 14 engine has. You would just need to know do maintenance for the newer engine. I certainly wouldn't downgrade any components such as the oil cooler.

Some components are going to not matter at all it's simply a new part with a new number, but can be put on any 3.6.

I'd be curious why the timing chain cover and the other parts mentioned need to be changed. Unless there is a clearance issue.. which seems unlikely given that it's the same vehicle and same engine.

I'd be most worried about the computer. What changes need to happen to that? Is it the same computer, but just needs to be flashed to the new engine. I would have the same concern for the 13 engine.

Some components are going to not matter at all it's simply a new part with a new number, but can be put on any 3.6.

I'd be curious why the timing chain cover and the other parts mentioned need to be changed. Unless there is a clearance issue.. which seems unlikely given that it's the same vehicle and same engine.

I'd be most worried about the computer. What changes need to happen to that? Is it the same computer, but just needs to be flashed to the new engine. I would have the same concern for the 13 engine.

Yes the ECM's are so picky it's hard to say what would happen if the electronics were different.

I guess if someone was to take the time to check part numbers on all the electronic components and see if they were the same would help make it a easier swap.