10.1" Android 13 head unit & JBL speakers install $500.

Moab

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am not an audiophile or professional stereo installer. But I've put Android head units in my last 3 vehicles. They are very affordable and have performed flawlessly. They run both Carplay for iPhones and Android Auto for Androids. With all the same functions as the $1500+ US units. Like Kenwood, Pioneer etc.

If you can use a screwdriver and a ratchet you can also do it yourself. Installation runs anywhere from $200-$450. But any stereo shop can put one in. Or you can do it yourself.

They come with the exact correct wiring harnesses for your make, model, and year. That are basically plug and play. A few tweaks in the settings menu is necessary. Like to set up your steering wheel controls. But nothing more complicated than menu selections in an cellphone.

I just put in this $350 unit in my 2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU.

20240516_104839.jpg
20240516_104830.jpg

They make exact size replacements. That don't require any new dash parts. But the 10.1" and larger units come with three dash replacement pieces. That for the most part match perfectly. And only require a few screws to replace. Going above 10.1" does sort of drastically change the look of the dash. But they match and are doable. For me the 10.1" in a Jeep JK is the best upgrade size wise. And it is light years better than the POS stock stereo.

I paid $350 for the head unit. Which came with all the correct wiring harnesses, backup camera, dash kit, gps antenna, microphone and everything you need for a complete install.

eBay is your best option. Amazon is over priced and has a smaller selection. I found a 8gb/256gb android 12. Mine upgraded to Android 13. For $350.

I'll let you read the specs at the link. It even does split screen flawlessly. It's basically like a cellphone in a 10.1" screen. It connects with my phone immediately upon starting the car. You can add as many apps that you want. And has both Carplay for iPhones and Android Auto for Androids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3868294569...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

I did receive one dash piece that had been returned and was missing the clips. I contacted the seller. And they sent me a new set within a week.

They also gave me all the info I needed to set up steering wheel controls in the factory menu. It's in the "Original Car" settings menu. You just have to have the password and select your vehicle make and model. And then another menu allows you to map your steering wheel buttons to whatever function you want them to operate. Simple. Like select volume up on the screen and hold your steering wheel volume up button for one second. Then close and save. Done. If you own a cellphone you can do this.

A couple of the dash pieces did not fit perfectly. Some small grinding and extra non visible screw fixed it. Could have been sun warp in my existing dash. Didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out. One clip on one dash part wouldn't stay in place. So I placed a small sheet metal screw under the dash. Not visible.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have the common dark grey dash color. It is actually two tone from the factory. The top half is jet black and the bottom half is dark grey. At first glance I thought the new dash pieces did not match. But then realized they don't match to begin with. Lol. But it's pretty subtle. The new dash pieces are reshaped to allow for the larger screen size. But the redesign is perfect. As is the texture and color.

The only two items I plan to replace are the gps antenna (maybe) and the backup camera. I've had a couple times while driving where Google Maps turned a couple times. Like the antenna wasn't quite accurate enough to tell which way my vehicle was facing at a stand still. But that could have been anything. Other than that it's worked flawlessly.

The backup camera, which I barely use - I prefer to actually turn my head - isn't bad but a little grainy. And the mount wasn't the best for the Jeep license plate. I found this well reviewed backup cam with two different license plate brackets for $20.

eRapta ERT01 HD Backup Camera Rear View License Plate Reverse Camera Universal for Pickup Truck Car SUV 149° Perfect Angle Night Vision IP69K Level Waterproof https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6?tag=jkforum-20

I have not looked for a gps antenna yet. But those are cheap too. No more than $20 for a good one.

I also replaced all the speakers for less than $150. I bought these two JBL sets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00881CT3E/?tag=jkforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S9L5S55/?tag=jkforum-20

One set comes with tweeters and a crossover and is for the front. The other set is for the sound bar. I did not replace the subwoofer. I am not that into bass. Although the bass seems sufficient. I wanted clarity. And this has improved the sound SIGNIFICANTLY.

There are other reasons why these android systems are actually better than the typical US systems costing $1500+. These use their own CPU. Thus the large 8gb/256gb and 8 core processor is important. My understanding is that the expensive US units rely on your cellphones processor. And have no CPU of their own.

I have not found anything this android system can not do that a $1500 US system can. Compare the specs.

For around $500 I put a completely new stereo system in with a large 10.1" hi res screen. That rivals anything I could find for $1500 from major manufacturers. I can't vouch for other android head units. (You can spend even less. But older 4 core units with lower GB are not as fast. And for a $100 savings I would stick with the latest units like this one.)

This one and the last two have performed flawlessly in a GMC Yukon, Jeep TJ and now Jeep JKU.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler JK Forum may be compensated.
Thanks.

That gap begins the screen is fixed now. Just took a small bit of plastic away with a file. And it sat in place. I will try to take some not so dark pics.
I debated going this route but I don't drive the Jeep that much. I ended up just getting a reverse camera, for now, that plugs into the back of the OEM head unit. If I find I'm driving it more often or end up hating the factory system I may take the same path you did...

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I debated going this route but I don't drive the Jeep that much. I ended up just getting a reverse camera, for now, that plugs into the back of the OEM head unit. If I find I'm driving it more often or end up hating the factory system I may take the same path you did...
The actual issue for me. Was how shitty connecting to my phone was with the stock stereo.

If you use Spotify (which you should if you listen to any kind of music. It's free with ads. $12 for no ads. And $20 or something for an entire family plan. It has every piece of music ever made. And just about every podcast.) connecting your phone to the stereo is crucial.

The POS stock stereo does a miserable job of this via Bluetooth. Half the time it might connect. Half not at all. And when it did it was a miserable experience clicking buttons back and forth. And won't connect at all even via cable.

I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Thus unit connects automatically Everytime you start your car. Like right away. No wait. No pushing buttons.

The last android units I bought weren't over $150. And you could probably fix this issue alone with a $150 unit. But I sprang for a really good unit at $350. Because you end up with delays with the cheaper units. Everything works. It's just slower to connect and slower to switch between apps and functions.

But the point is with a halfway decent phone and a good display like this. It turns your stereo into a media center.

Anything you can play or do on your phone you can do on its 10 inch display.

Watch a movie. Surf the internet. Make phone calls. Make video phone calls. Load any app. Like trail apps when your 4 wheeling and navigate via the 10 inch display rather than your 5 inch phone.

If the app doesn't exist. It doesn't matter you can simply screen mirror your phone to the screen. But you can load any app from the Apple Store or Google Play to the android head unit. Just like your phone.

It also has split screen. So you can navigate on one half of the screen - be watching or using whatever in the other half. YouTube. Hulu. HBO. Maybe a HAM app. Or a scanner app monitoring any freqs. The list is endless.

These are truly valuable just around town or off in the woods wheeling.

Oh. And I'm pretty sure you can hook up a 4 or more camera system to it. You could monitor all four wheels on your Jeep from inside the cab. I could have added that system to plug into the android head unit. I think the capability is within the head unit itself. And you just had to get the four camera system and mount them anywhere in your car. Normally it's for security. But you could have one mounted under your Jeep too. Checking clearance from inside the cab.

Last edited:
I love my 10" android radio! There's sooo much you can do with it. Did you get your radio it's own cell service or are you using your cell phones service for internet on the radio? Mine did have the options to hook up multiple cameras too. I opted to just hook up the rear camera. There's not much room to look out the rear window with a 37" tire in the way.

Reactions: tJKrider
I love my 10" android radio! There's sooo much you can do with it. Did you get your radio it's own cell service or are you using your cell phones service for internet on the radio? Mine did have the options to hook up multiple cameras too. I opted to just hook up the rear camera. There's not much room to look out the rear window with a 37" tire in the way.
No. Mine just uses my phones signal. My next step is to get my obdii scanner connected up to an app on the head unit.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I have Jscan on my head unit.
That is exactly what I am going to use. And I purchased my scanner off their list. What's the name of their app on Google Play? I've been meaning to load it in my phone. But had not gotten around to it.

That is exactly what I am going to use. And I purchased my scanner off their list. What's the name of their app on Google Play? I've been meaning to load it in my phone. But had not gotten around to it.

Screenshot_20240517_175210.jpg

It's JScan, regardless of what you install it on. I have it on my iPhone as well as on the Android head units I've installed in the Wranglers.

I'm also a fan of the 10" Android head unit that i put in our JKU.
The only drawback that I have found so far is that it can't connect it to the wifi signal of my network unless I pull into rather than backing into the garage.

Reactions: tJKrider
I'm also a fan of the 10" Android head unit that i put in our JKU.
The only drawback that I have found so far is that it can't connect it to the wifi signal of my network unless I pull into rather than backing into the garage.
Is the hopeful use faster downloading of something? I rarely use my head unit at home.

This is either an issue of the head units antenna reception. Or your wifi routers antenna/location. You might try an extender in that end of the house. They're pretty cheap.

I recently (actually a few times) moved my router to a higher more centrally located area in the house. That might help.

I went from no signal on the toilet. lmao. To a dare I say solid signal. Simply by moving our router from a a desk to the top of a shelf along the same wall. There was also quite a bit of metal between the router and the rest of house when on the desk. Opposite side of a PC and wire shelving unit.

I do wish they had accelerometers built in so i could use my inclinometer app, but that is minor. I mean, my wifes Gladiator has it built in to her stock unit, I should have it in mine. :)

My current one is getting a bit dated. Android 13 would be nice (I'm on 9 IIRC).

I do wish they had accelerometers built in so i could use my inclinometer app, but that is minor. I mean, my wifes Gladiator has it built in to her stock unit, I should have it in mine. :)

My current one is getting a bit dated. Android 13 would be nice (I'm on 9 IIRC).
Can you get an accelerometer for your phone? That would work.

Ya. I noticed a definite speed up with this. I forgot which version of android I had in my TJ. But it was a cheap one. I think I paid $140. And it was light years better than what was in it. My Yukon one was really cheap too.

Once you research these. You realize how much your getting ripped off by big name US manufacturers. And those mostly use your phones processor. I did notice this ones software was set up to customize alot better. Setting my steering wheels controls took maybe 3 minutes. And everything installed and worked perfectly. The backup cam was actually nice too. I was disappointed when I installed a replacement from Amazon today. Thinking it would wow me. And it was just about the same resolution. Not great. But as good as the best reviewed one in Amazon.

Last edited: