08 Unlimited X with Rubicon axles

72c10

JK Enthusiast
Hi! Searched some Jeep forums, as I'm preparing to buy a JKU (if I can find a decent one or they don't sell so fast), I like this forum the best so far. I'm going to look at an 08 Unlimited X that's clean and the owner has put Rubicon axles in it and a manual anti-sway bar disconnect with aftermarket buttons (not that the buttons are significant to me).

The gentleman bought a newer JKU, so he's selling this. He seems like he maintained it well and cosmetically it shows. However, he's listing the JKU at about $2,000 higher than "Clean retail" value. He told me that it's because he spent about $4K installing the axles from a Rubicon and he's running 35's. He's also including 33's on rims with the sale.

My question is... Is it worth paying over book for that JKU with that upgrade? Personally, I don't feel that I need it, as my off-road usage will not be severe (mild - moderate). However, it'll be used for taking the kids out with the top off and letting them have fun w/ daddy and I'll prob be on pavement 75% of the time.

I'm happy to pay the "Clean retail", because this Jeep is appearing to have been maintained well. But, should I be paying more because of the axle swap? I don't necessarily need it, but I know it'll be beneficial. If it's resale value when I go to sell it, will allow me to get more out of it, then I'm fine with that too.

Would ya?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Reactions: Chris
If you don't think you need or want the way it's setup and he won't budge on the price then i'd pass on it and just get a stock one and then do the Mods that you want or like.

What is he asking for it total?

Personally I would just skip on it and buy a real Rubicon, which will have much higher resale value and won't be potentially half-assed.

It's not like Rubicons are hard to find, they are a dime a dozen with as many JKs as they made :)

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Agree with Chris- just go find a used Rubi. You have no idea this guy or someone else knew what they were doing when they swapped axles. Not that it's a difficult job, but I've seen people screw up a lug nut, if you get my drift.

If he is running 35s on stock stuff, even if it is a rubicon front axle there is going to be some wear.

I paid 12k for my 2009 Rubicon last year, and while mostly stock (when purchased) it's of an age where I've had to replace a number of the bits underneath, ball joints, shocks, etc.

If this guy put that much into switching axles that means it was off roaded, perhaps hard. Getting a jeep that is already upgraded can come with a cost. Plus you don't get to make it yours.

The early JKs with the 3.8 should be cheaper as it's the less desirable engine. I'm fine with mine, it's manual and with Rubicon gearing, but I wish I had the 3.6.

Thanks to all. It had 134,000 mi and wanted $15,500. I don’t need a Rubicon, as my driving will me mild off-roading in the desert or mild trails in Moab. I actually called to see it and he sold it to someone so the sale is pending now. He told me to call him back tomorrow... I say, you call me if you want to sell it. Otherwise, I’ll keep looking.

So I did... I found an 07 today with 118,000 mi and it was a clean one owner (sounds cliche) for about 4 grand less and it’s a 6-speed like I preferred (for highway). The dealer (nice mom & pop store - literally) told me to come back tomorrow so she (mom) could do the paperwork (she wasn’t there) and it was close to closing time. Glad I took the 45 min drive out to the small town to check it out. I just hope that it hasn’t sold, with the luck I’ve been having.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. Had I looked at that half-assed Rubicon, I probably would’ve passed, due to your guys’ response.