07 Rubicon soft top leak finally fixed

BigAL07

JK Enthusiast
Been fighting a leak over the doors on my soft top for couple of years now. Purchased new mopar half doors and still leaking (ass still burning from the price of those). Tried every configuration of weather stripping with no success. Finally found it! My top and I guess most older model tops have hard plastic flaps that have to be tucked into the top of the door surrounds or pulled out when taking the top down. The leak was coming through the threads where this flap is sewn into the top. $4 bottle of tent seam sealer and this mother is bone dry. I know it is because I drank a 12 pack sitting in my driveway in our last rain storm lol. Life is good! Hope this helps any one with a similar problem. BIGAL is out!

For others that find this thread, up through 2009, the soft tops on Jeeps used a plastic rib above the doors and the top slotted into the door surrounds. Similar to the bottom of the back side windows.

If you are going to buy replacement material for your top, you need to ensure that you get the correct style. Especially considering the places selling them don't always do a good job of telling you which one you are ordering.

I've never heard of a top leaking as you've described, but I could see how it could happen. Tent seam sealer is probably the best option you could have done. The mopar branded version is probably the same thing for 10x the cost.

I got lucky with my 2009, I was able to replace the top with a newer cable tensioned version off craigslist for super cheap shortly after getting it. I think the windows where not factory, because something didn't fit right.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Actually ran across a thread from 2016 that lead me to finding mine doing the same thing. My top is a little over 2 years old. The leak let’s water in on the inside of the door seal which made it crazy hard to find. Hits right above the door latch

Reactions: mrjp