“Doors Off” Mirrors

Josh1313

Hey guys- I’m looking to get a new set of mirrors for when the doors come off. I’ve looked at so many and read so many reviews I’m going nuts. People are complaining of whistling, folding in from the wind, etc. Any recommendations?

Do you even legally need them. I don't run any mirrors with the doors off, and here in Oregon it's legal.

What about these things?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FAK28E/?tag=jkforum-20
I wish I could do that but here in Pennsylvania it’s technically against the law to even take your doors off (I know, crazy!) so if nothing else I would at least like to have the mirrors

Reactions: Chris
I have a very unique set-up that most people never have thought of.
A motorbike convex side mirror assembly mounted in my grab handle assembly and if I have my doors on, I will adjust the mirrors and use them for my blind spot.

Last edited:
Here is my set-up. I can swing it out when the door is off and rotate it 360 degrees to all directions.
IMG_1578.jpg

Reactions: theRealCrazy
20200421_160030.jpg

Be warned. With the relocation brackets, the passenger side mirror is practically useless. You almost have to be in the passenger seat to actually see behind you. Looks better than it functions.

I’ve used a pair of motorcycle mirrors that fit in the door hinge (when the doors are removed). Mirrors are inexpensive and they do not rattle/shake. Easy to insert in the hinge and uses a reverse threaded nut to secure.

The picture is from my old YJ. Used the same type of mirrors on my TJ and just ordered a set for my JK.

E9B34140-BD90-4584-AB9F-431AFC0F3F39.jpeg

Last edited:
I have these and I am happy with them. They drop right into the hinges and then a magnet on an arm attaches inside & keeps them from moving too much.

I'm reviving this because it's that time of year when I hate having the doors on. Plus it's not that old of a thread.

I've got a pair of rugged ridge quick release something something horrible junk that sing poorly to me as I drive down the road and for some reason the passenger side is not convex. I didn't pay much for them as a local shop bought a jeep and these came with.

I don't think it matters in my state if I have mirrors or not, but having spent a couple decades driving military trucks and hmmwvs it bothers me not to have mirrors.

I'm sick of the cheap crap, I'm either going to built something like Quadratech Auto Mirrors because I'm not spending that, or buy these Mirage Mirrors kit.

I'm curious if anyone has seen the Mirage mirrors. Like Minky above said, relocation kits are a mixed bag and leave the passenger side mirror pretty useless, so these seem to be a better option. I would be able to get the cheaper basic option because my 09 has manual mirrors.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

It doesn't look like it would move the passenger side out away from the body so you could see out of it. But on the other hand if you was crafty you could fab up a nice looking spacer to go between the mount and body.

I can remember MacGuyver could do about anything he wanted with little of nothing, so you shouldn't have a problem.

lol, it appears that the way they are set up, they may actually sit further back than factory when doors are on, that is my main concern. Relocation brackets seem to always work fine with doors off. These may present a different problem. I'm scouring youtube atm to see if there is anything.

I'm reviving this because it's that time of year when I hate having the doors on. Plus it's not that old of a thread.

I've got a pair of rugged ridge quick release something something horrible junk that sing poorly to me as I drive down the road and for some reason the passenger side is not convex. I didn't pay much for them as a local shop bought a jeep and these came with.

I don't think it matters in my state if I have mirrors or not, but having spent a couple decades driving military trucks and hmmwvs it bothers me not to have mirrors.

I'm sick of the cheap crap, I'm either going to built something like Quadratech Auto Mirrors because I'm not spending that, or buy these Mirage Mirrors kit.

I'm curious if anyone has seen the Mirage mirrors. Like Minky above said, relocation kits are a mixed bag and leave the passenger side mirror pretty useless, so these seem to be a better option. I would be able to get the cheaper basic option because my 09 has manual mirrors.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

I'm running half doors now but would like to run no doors periodically, mostly on the trail. It's law in my state that you must have mirrors on the road. I bought a set of bestop mirrors for the half doors so I don't have to swap mirrors back and forth between those and my full doors. I was very close to buying another set of OE style mirrors and RR relocation brackets but saw the RR quick releases. The rectangular mirrors appear to be notorious for whistling. Is that the style you're running? I opted for the 6" round as I didn't see any complaints about whistling and at less than $20 shipped from RR, the price was right. I should have them tomorrow.

I bought these tube doors just to have mirrors in the right place.

tube doors

Some reviews complain about loose mirrors, rattling, etc. I have zero issue with mine. I actually like them better than the factory mirrors. I like the look of the tube doors as well. There are better doors for sure, but they work perfect for me!

Tim

I bought these tube doors just to have mirrors in the right place.

tube doors

Some reviews complain about loose mirrors, rattling, etc. I have zero issue with mine. I actually like them better than the factory mirrors. I like the look of the tube doors as well. There are better doors for sure, but they work perfect for me!

Tim

I'm fairly certain that those would work for a 4 door as well.. right? I can't imagine Jeep makes different doors for 2 vs 4 door. I just don't know anyone with a 2 door JK.

I pretty much never remove the rear doors because I don't trust my dogs so just the front doors would work fine for me.

Boosthead said:
The rectangular mirrors appear to be notorious for whistling. Is that the style you're running? I opted for the 6" round as I didn't see any complaints about whistling and at less than $20 shipped from RR, the price was right. I should have them tomorrow.

Yeah, they are the square and even when removed the bracket whistles a bit as well. I'm not getting any more cheap mirrors to replace these. I'm contemplating the tube doors or the mirage or I'm also going to look into getting a 3d printer and start making my own parts. I swear that is what some of these companies do.